It’s finally happening, but it’s actually happening

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
So excited for this. I’m building a pond that should be 8-12 feet long. It will be oval-ish, and around 5-7 feet wide. It will be 3-4 feet deep.

We’ve Decided to do pond liner, and you can’t convince me out of it (sorry). We will do a double layer, just in case it does leak.

We are building a retaining wall around 18-30” high for multiple reasons. It’s nicer to see the fish from above a wall. We have tortoises that sometimes escape their area, and we don’t want them falling in. We can also sit and watch koi. The wall will be built out of blocks that ‘peg’ together. I’m not sure how to explain it, but I will when we get there.

Right now my plan is to stock with koi. I wont get an exact dimension of the pond, but it should be anywhere from 1,000-2,000, however probably around the mid 1k. I don’t know how many can fit in this, not many, but a rough number of how many will fit could be nice. I’ve also thought of buying a lot of koi as smaller ones, and then as the get bigger selling them off and leaving us with the ones we like best. Are there any other fish that are communal and could work in an unheated pond?

Consulting with a pond guy today. Been in the business for a long time, and we’re hoping to get some ideas and questions answered by him.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Preferably easy to find, but I would love some rare fish that could be hard to find. Carp are great options.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Can’t wait to see it!
There are always lots of native options that could work (sunnies, darters, etc.) with the koi.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
This is a good read on how many koi in a pond.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Can’t wait to see it!
There are always lots of native options that could work (sunnies, darters, etc.) with the koi.
This is a good read on how many koi in a pond.
Darters would be fun, but not sure about the habitat. Don’t they need fast, running water and lots of hides? Sunfish are aggressive from what I’ve heard.

I have small fish ideas like a shoal of Red Shiners, or a couple Dojo Loaches, but maybe a group of fish that could get a good size. Something uncommon in the hobby, resilient to cold water, and reaches 1+ feet.

The dimensions at the moment are roughly an 11’x7’ and 3.5-4’ deep, which is around 2k gallons.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
You’d know more about natives than me tbh. My guess is that smaller sunnies wouldn’t be terrible but I have no experience to back that up.

Something like a bullhead cat may be a good option.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I wouldn't recommend weather loaches for a pond. Whenever it rains they can easily escape.
They are illegal in several US states for that reason, California may be one.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Dojo loaches are legal, but I would like to have fish that don’t escape and die. I want to steer away from fish with with pokey fins, like catfish, because I am using pond liner.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store