Jack Dempsey and Green Terror

Estelle

Feeder Fish
Sep 18, 2019
Good day.
We have a 79 Gallon tank wit only 1 Green terror and 1 Jack Dempsey . We have had them for 4 weeks already. For the past 3 or 2 days we don't see the Jack eating. He/she eats the blood worms we feed but he/she doesn't eat the pallets (Hikari Gold). Last night when I watched them again I see both the fishes go up for food but as soon as the green terror grabs the pallet and go down the jack follows him/her. A bit later the evening the jack was in the corner of the tank laying on the gravel. Then he/she would pick up the gravel and spit it out (Like making a hole or something), as soon as the green terror comes close he/she would swim around the green terror (Looks like they are dancing). I also noticed last night if the jack comes close to the terror, he would (seems like it) blow up gills. This is the first time I have these fish and I'm not sure if their behavior is normal. Can someone please give me advise why they would do this?

20190911_181529.jpg20190910_215721.jpg

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Agree with Rocksor and would add that a GT/JD combination as the two main fish in a tank is dicey in the first place and based on your description this doesn't sound promising.

Estelle

Feeder Fish
Sep 18, 2019
We are getting Oscars this weekend to add to the tank. Last night when I wanted to feed them, the GT layed eggs. Not sure what to do now with them, as they will not hatch.
20190919_211830.jpg

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
sounds like you need to introduce some more smaller cichlids to spread the aggression. Usually this calms things down. Oscars may or may not help, but will definitely outgrow a 79 gallon tank in short time.

Estelle

Feeder Fish
Sep 18, 2019
sounds like you need to introduce some more smaller cichlids to spread the aggression. Usually this calms things down. Oscars may or may not help, but will definitely outgrow a 79 gallon tank in short time.
Thanks for the advise

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store