Jack Dempsey is "flashing"

P3R3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
SC
To give a little backstory about a week ago I purchased a juvi Jack Dempsey, he is ~1.5". Around 3 days ago I noticed he was spitting out food (suck the flake in then spit it out). I immediatly tried other foods with little success. I also noticed he was acting lethargic, basically he acts like a Discuss (slow swimming). So thinking it was poor water condition I did a 30% water change. Now, today I notice that he is flashing, immediatly i check his body for ich and/or flukes. Nothing.

Water Params were normal and shouldnt have caused the change:
Nitrate - 30ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Ammonia - 0ppm
pH - 6.6

I added a little scrap coral to try and buffer the pH up a little, but that shouldnt have caused the flashing.

Now the only thing I can think of is flukes, what else can I try?

THANKS!

P3R3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
SC
Now I have noticed another behavior, he is opening his mouth. It looks like the fish equivilent of coughing.

RockThePolypterus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Jamestown, NC
Now I have noticed another behavior, he is opening his mouth. It looks like the fish equivilent of coughing.
No kidding...seriously
My albino bichir is doing the exact same thing at times. He'll do something that looks like a yawn, and usually when he comes down from getting air, he does the cough thing too.

Course, mine isn't eating anything, so while all this and acting lethargic, its the Nitrites...:cry:

Sorry about your fish...

Shane,

K C

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2006
the klongs
Other than flakes, what other food have u tried?

A little scrap of coral's unlikely to have much effect on the pH, considering you're keeping a JD & it's min tank requiremt. U mentioned tt your fish flashed after water change, it may not be fluke as suspected. U may want to consider raising the pH

P3R3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
SC
Well I treated him in a "death mix".

Heres the contents:
2G Water
1 tsp marine salt
1 tsp Maracide
.5 tsp melfix
.5 tsp pimafix

4 Hour dip and he is much better. Still flashing, but has lost his stress colors and for th most part is acting like himself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store