Jack Dempsey Sexing.

Captainflex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2019
Just looking for some confirmation. I have 2 regular Jack's, similar in size. The one in almost positive is a female (slightly smaller of the two). The other one I'm pretty sure is a female as well (hard to say with the fins starting to slightly point and a little less beard color) Definitely the Alpha of the two and loving the coloration! Also have my Electric bkue that I just picked up (fins are still healing from the previous home) I know the EBJD's are a lot harder to visually identify. All 3 of them are around the 4+ inch mark.

20190626_161322.jpg

20190626_161333.jpg

20190626_161349.jpg

20190626_161328.jpg

Captainflex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2019
Will try to get some more detailed pictures a little bit later once the glare dies down if need be.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It looks to me, like the smaller of the two, is a EBJD cull, that was turned in as a regular JD because at the time it looked like it wouldn't color up (or something on that order) .
And if they both came from the same spawn, it could explain the kind of nebulous color of the larger (which could be male), but due to all this random line breeding by amateurs these days, skews gender IDs. .

Reactions: Captainflex

Captainflex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2019
It looks to me, like the smaller of the two, is a EBJD cull, that was turned in as a regular JD because at the time it looked like it wouldn't color up (or something on that order) .
And if they both came from the same spawn, it could explain the kind of nebulous color of the larger (which could be male), but due to all this random line breeding by amateurs these days, skews gender IDs. .
I believe they are from the same spawn. Appreciate the input! Been driving myself crazy trying to figure out who is who.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
The two normal jacks look definitely female and for the ebjd I couldn’t tell you. Looks super beat up though.

Captainflex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2019
If it helps any as far as, behavior goes the larger one will chase the smaller one constantly. The EBJD will also chase the smaller one as well. EBJD was lip locking with the larger one. Only lasted about a day, now they seem to tolerate each other. Dont show much interest each other though at the same time.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Bigger one has the female shape and blue beard so it appears to be the dominant female. The EBJD cool also has a sign of the beard and female shape so those got to be confirmed female.

Reactions: Captainflex

Captainflex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2019
The two normal jacks look definitely female and for the ebjd I couldn’t tell you. Looks super beat up though.
Agreed! Have only had the ebjd for about 2 and a half weeks now. Was even worse when I got he/she. Assuming it was getting bullied pretty bad in it's former tank. Fins are starting to look much better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store