Jaguar care

crb_oliva

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2005
So my jags are about to spawn, I had to temporarily separate my pair because the male would beat up the female and also eat the fry, but during my research I read that jags are supposed to be great parents, this is not the case with my pair. I just introduced the male back tp the female and they seem fine at the moment. She has been getting a full belly and is showing signs of laying eggs again what should I do after they have been fertilized by my male.

dialphantom

Banned
Jul 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
let the fry chill in momies mouth and if u think yur male will attack her then isolate her and once the fry come out of momies mouth u need to keep the fry by them self and feed them cyclops or somthing

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
dialphantom said:
let the fry chill in momies mouth and if u think yur male will attack her then isolate her and once the fry come out of momies mouth u need to keep the fry by them self and feed them cyclops or somthing
jaguar cichlids are not mouthbrooders.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
crb_oliva said:
So my jags are about to spawn, I had to temporarily separate my pair because the male would beat up the female and also eat the fry, but during my research I read that jags are supposed to be great parents, this is not the case with my pair. I just introduced the male back tp the female and they seem fine at the moment. She has been getting a full belly and is showing signs of laying eggs again what should I do after they have been fertilized by my male.
once you see the eggs laid, its almost guaranteed they were already fertilized before you arrived at the scene.

You can remove BOTH parents from the eggs if you want to. The eggs hatch in 2 days, give or take a day. The fry hatch with a yolk sac attached, and they will all rest on the substrate motionlessly. They do not need care at this time.

They become free-swimming in another day or two. Once they are visibly free-swimming, they will nibble on hand-crumbled fish flakes, but you can try brine shrimp or other fry foods if you really want...

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
First off jags aint mouthbrooders as stated above.

Second i been breeding them for the past aprox 2 years with suces.

Once the female lays the eggs Leave them in there till the next day. You may think she done but she probly be still droping few more eggs,. And by waiting till the next day you have way better chance of them being fertle. I tried moveing them the same day a couple times and they would never hatch.

Once its the next day after they been layed. You could either try removeing just the male from the tank . But if you realy wana be safe. Get you a small ten gal tank, And set it up and stick the object they layed the eggs on in it. Keep watter temps in the 75 f range. Mine always breed between 74 and 77 and i mean always. Ive had two sucessfull pairs and now im working on my third. After about a week not a day or to more they will start to hover in the bottom of the tank.and eventualy start free swiming and look like a black cloud in the tank. I use LIQUID FRY NUMBER 1 for the first couple weeks once they start hovering in the botom of the tank. Then i swich over to a crushed flak i make it into a powder. and feed them that till big enuf for regular flakes.Once u got the fry in a seperate tank its sfe to raise the temp up to 79 or 80 to help speed there metabolism up alittle. good luck and post pics

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store