Jaguar cichlid fry

Isaiah Shipp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2016
How long should I keep my jaguar cichlid fry with the parents? No other fish in the tank with them, is there a certain length I should take them out or will they be ok for awhile. And to follow that question up, I'm selling the fry so I'm not looking to have a tank that will permanently house them but what's a good grow out tank size that I could put them into until I sold them all? Thanks in advance guys.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How long should I keep my jaguar cichlid fry with the parents? No other fish in the tank with them, is there a certain length I should take them out or will they be ok for awhile. And to follow that question up, I'm selling the fry so I'm not looking to have a tank that will permanently house them but what's a good grow out tank size that I could put them into until I sold them all? Thanks in advance guys.

pops pops

Reactions: Isaiah Shipp

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
this really depends on the parents, you are more than likes going to want a divider up between the male and female if you choose to leave them in for more than a couple weeks, 40g is fine for holding them if you wish to raise to sale size, keep in mind jags not an easy sale. and once you have sold to all that may take, (LFS) they are not going to want anymore. Do not expect to making any real money, more stores go by credit not cash.

If the parents are gobbling them up then sooner you can get them out the better. Make sure to have socks on all intakes or they will get sucked up into the filter, and they will feed off the sock.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
for the years I had my many spawns of WC jags, of all the spawns i maybe made 60 bucks, 40 of that store credit, and the 2 I sold at 5" , 10 bucks an inch, that is the market price, store not going to give you that, and unless you have 500g of tanks laying around to use raising that many fry to that size not realistic.

in the end, all my fry became feeder fish for the oscars and other jags. Not meaning to bust your bubble but the market just not there.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
typical spawn.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
now I am sure you looking at that vid and thinking all that money, look at all those fish I can sell, nope, they all feeders. no one buying them unless you take 2 or three raise to 4 to 5" , going to need a 75g or better tank for that. and then sell, 6 months or so down the line.

Isaiah Shipp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2016
typical spawn.

Thank you for all the information. I'm not breeding in hopes of making money, I'm more interested in the experience. I love jags but have never bred them so it's something new I want to try.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
nothing wrong with that, I loved the hole process myself. but after so many spawns, it just became a hassle.
pair having to be separated cept for spawning, less the male kill the female. male beating down the divider and getting to her, fry freeking every ware so vacuuming at water change a hassle.

enjoy it, i did, just be aware of what you are in for.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
and just because you love your jags, A few vids of mine.
love this one, great tool tune.

Reactions: YankeeJack
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store