Jaguar Cichlids

Vincent Kepferle

Feeder Fish
Jun 30, 2018
I have two Jags and they are both a good size, my bigger one is about 4.5 inches. I can't 100% tell if it us a male or female but I am leani2nh more towards Female based off the shape of its fins. But my question is not about determining it's sex. This particular thing has happened twice now. But it was chasing my dempsy woth my other Jag and shot out a transparent thing from it's "genital" area. It is probably the length of an average finger nail and the end of it is yellow. What is it?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
First off, the shape of a managuense fins, are not really a good way of determining sex.
Females have a more torpedo shaped profile when mature, males a steeper shape.
Females also usually display a different color pattern than males, males loads more small spots, females more large markings.
4.5 is quite small, for a managuense, males can reach 3 times longer, females 2xs.
Although these are not managuense, these Parachromis motaguense are very close cousins, and some of the same gender differences apply.

Note the male in the background, very high body compared to the female in the foreground. Also note the darker, larger markings
Now a close up of male face, note high profile and small spots on the jaw line

below a female close up, note the more naked jaw coloration, and torpedo shape.

another shot of a female, with darker markings, and pointed fins

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store