Jaguar Cichlids

DSPRAD

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2020
I have a pair of jaguar cichlids and the smaller lighter colored jag which is about 4 to 4.5 inches has been filling her mouth full of sand and piling it up in two other places in the tank. The larger darker jag which is about 5 inches stays right with her sometimes circling her and even appears sometimes to be rubbing up against her. The only time he leaves her is to chase away other fish. Is this their breeding behavior and are they big enough to breed at this size?? First time keeping jags and I am just trying to learn these fish. Is there any special care they need at this time if they are breeding??

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Yes sounds typical of breeding behavior. At 5" they may lay eggs and even hatch fry but its possible they will fail a few batches before you can collect any. Once they get more mature and have bred a few times before they should start producing more, healthier fry.

If you are trying to raise the fry, then you may consider removing tankmates once eggs are laid, and have a plan in place to eventually separate the parents from them.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Sounds like spawning behavior to me.
if the tank is large enough, you may want to divide it with light diffuser, with the pair on one side and other fish on the other to save their lives.
When the pair spawn they may be ferocious defenders of eggs and fry to the point of killing any threats.

DSPRAD

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2020
Those 2 will not separate from each other they have been laying together in the same spot for a week.

DSPRAD

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2020
I think I'm going to get the water to about 80 degrees and see what they do. I have been told to increase the water temp so I will see how this goes.

DSPRAD

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2020
I bought these guys from Tangled Up In Cichlids and they said that some where exhibiting spawning behavior before they were shipped.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Sounds like spawning for sure. A little small, but from what I've heard of jags they are very prolific. My dovii certainly are! Give them a couple tries. They may not get it right first try.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

DSPRAD

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2020
I'm just glad they have paired up together!! When they do get it right I will have plenty little ones to give away. The male is a really good looking jag already has nice dark coloring to him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store