Jaguar is laying on the bottom of the tank.

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
So I got a Jaguar cichlid 3-4 inches almost 2 months ago I also have 8 goldfish/feeders in their as well I assumed they'd get eaten. But the Jaguar is a very picky eater he was only eaten bloodworms no pellets even though he was eating them at the store. I also got a couple plants from the same store that are in the tank attached to driftwood. Its a 75 gallon tank 79 degrees with an ac110 and an xp3 for filters I do 60% water changes once a week and have had the tank up for 4 months my water tests 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10 ppm nitrate sometimes 20 ppm nitrates. So now the jaguar is barely eating and is laying on the bottom of the tank and just swims around occasionally or to chase a goldfish off or he is hiding in a corner. His colors look fine there is no heavy breathing or laying on his side. Also in the time that I've had the fish together the goldfish have grown while the jaguar barely has. If anyone has got some experience and advise I am all ears.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I got a Jaguar cichlid 3-4 inches almost 2 months ago I also have 8 goldfish/feeders in their as well I assumed they'd get eaten. But the Jaguar is a very picky eater he was only eaten bloodworms no pellets even though he was eating them at the store. I also got a couple plants from the same store that are in the tank attached to driftwood. Its a 75 gallon tank 79 degrees with an ac110 and an xp3 for filters I do 60% water changes once a week and have had the tank up for 4 months my water tests 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10 ppm nitrate sometimes 20 ppm nitrates. So now the jaguar is barely eating and is laying on the bottom of the tank and just swims around occasionally or to chase a goldfish off or he is hiding in a corner. His colors look fine there is no heavy breathing or laying on his side. Also in the time that I've had the fish together the goldfish have grown while the jaguar barely has. If anyone has got some experience and advise I am all ears.

I suggest removing the goldfish they could easily carry parasites or bacterial disease especially if not quarantined and treated prior to offering as food. Also recommend a good pellet food for your little Jag. Small fish will instinctively hide if they see you as a predator.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I suggest removing the goldfish they could easily carry parasites or bacterial disease especially if not quarantined and treated prior to offering as food. Also recommend a good pellet food for your little Jag. Small fish will instinctively hide if they see you as a predator.
I personally would add dither fish after removing the overgrown goldfish feeders.
The dither fish will make him feel more secure when the goldfish are removed.
Try to keep feeding pellets and not the bloodworms.

Reactions: PMK

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
I should have mentioned the goldfish were in the tank before the jaguar . I used them to help cycle the tank when I set it up. But I think I can get rid of them tomorrow/ if you think that would help. Also how can I treat the Jaguar? Thanks!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I should have mentioned the goldfish were in the tank before the jaguar . I used them to help cycle the tank when I set it up. But I think I can get rid of them tomorrow/ if you think that would help. Also how can I treat the Jaguar? Thanks!

I personally wouldn't treat with meds until the jag stopped eating completely or if you noticed white stringy poop. You stated no rapid breathing and color was normal both great signs.

Reactions: PMK

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Can't treat something without knowing what it is. So don't medicate.

Remove the goldfish. Get a school of dithers, provide low light conditions, lots of cover, and feed lightly to encourage the fish to move around to look for food or possibly beg.

Sounds a bit stressed to me.

Other symptoms?

Reactions: PMK and tlindsey

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
I personally wouldn't treat with meds until the jag stopped eating completely or if you noticed white stringy poop. You stated no rapid breathing and color was normal both great signs.
Ok I've just never seen this behavior from a cichlid before and was concerned this could early signs of something worse.

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
Can't treat something without knowing what it is. So don't medicate.

Remove the goldfish. Get a school of dithers, provide low light conditions, lots of cover, and feed lightly to encourage the fish to move around to look for food or possibly beg.

Sounds a bit stressed to me.

Other symptoms?
Ok what kind of dithers would you recommend after looking at him he's probably closer to 4-5 inches in size. There is plenty of cover and I have and led light I can dim down or turn off for a day or two. Thanks!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok I've just never seen this behavior from a cichlid before and was concerned this could early signs of something worse.
You stated he was eating pellets in the store. Did you witness this or did the lfs tell you this?

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
You stated he was eating pellets in the store. Did you witness this or did the lfs tell you this?
That's what they told me since he was in a 5 foot tank with like 20 other jags and a dozen other fish of various sizes and breeds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store