Jaguar Pairing

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Anybody have experience pairing and breeding jaguars? Had an 8" female for a few months and just bought a 10" male for her a few days ago. Introduced him to the tank and she followed him around constantly and they seemed to be getting on great. Next day I got home from work and they started fighting constantly. Divided the tank and put a flat rock at the divider and she was at the divider constantly, cleaning the rock and displaying to the male and her egg tube came down. Removed the divider today and she followed him around flaring her gills and now they keep lip locking and flaring at each other, her being the most aggressive. Is this normal behaviour and should I leave them for a bit or should I add the divider again and try again in a few days? Tank is 260 gallons and they're the only 2 fish.

LRM_EXPORT_616428587223125_20190904_175917783.jpeg

Nove Sedici

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
Netherlands
Anybody have experience pairing and breeding jaguars? Had an 8" female for a few months and just bought a 10" male for her a few days ago. Introduced him to the tank and she followed him around constantly and they seemed to be getting on great. Next day I got home from work and they started fighting constantly. Divided the tank and put a flat rock at the divider and she was at the divider constantly, cleaning the rock and displaying to the male and her egg tube came down. Removed the divider today and she followed him around flaring her gills and now they keep lip locking and flaring at each other, her being the most aggressive. Is this normal behaviour and should I leave them for a bit or should I add the divider again and try again in a few days? Tank is 260 gallons and they're the only 2 fish.

View attachment 1387140

I currently (3 months ago) bought my first 2 Jaguars. Just selected a random male and a random female. They are still small (3,5 inch) but I already had 2 batches of fry. Pairing up was done easily, they followed each other everywhere from the first day on.

I personally wouldn't worry to much if it's only flairing and liplocking. But when one of them keeps chasing the other so it becomes scary and stressed i would add a divider

Reactions: tlindsey

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
My one male would get aggressive before spawning. Not so much attacking but chasing and pushing I guess you could say. I just switched females out with a location correct female and he did the same with her, but it got worse after the spawn so I had to separate them. My other pair would fight after spawning but that has subsided since they have matured some and doing well now. I always keep a close eye though, they're unpredictable and can turn on each other at any moment.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just because you have a male and female doesn't mean both are ready at the same time. Cichlids have have complicated rituals , and conditions that make them compatible.
I had a pair that spawned together for years, but that was after the male killed 2 or 3 females until the right pairing conditions were met.
My usual way of getting a pair is putting tother 1 male with 3 or 4 (or more) females and letting nature take its course, with only 1 male and 1 female, your chances are greatly reduced, although it can happen..

TommyNY

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2018
That’s a gorgeous pair. Sounds like jaguar behavior to me. Mating can be rough.

maxstillen

Dovii
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Denver, CO
I would leave the divider up until she starts laying. Once she starts laying you can open the divider to see if they will do their thing. If not then you will have to try a few times to see if they will accept each other. But That method usually works for me on all my pairings. Gl.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store