Jaguar

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Can i have a jag with my oscar? How many littles should the tank be to have a dovii with the jaguar ?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Jag and Oscar might work in a large 180 gallon plus aquarium. Jaguars are usually much more aggressive, so not the best mix, but some big Oscars can hold their own.

I would not attempt dovii and jaguar in an aquarium. They are similar in appearance when you and will most likely fight, whoever becomes dominant may kill the other fish.

How big is your tank?

Reactions: tlindsey

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
300 gallons mate , what other fishes can i put my the jag and oscar? I don't like catfishes tho

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
That's a nice tank size. Still gotta keep in mind that jaguars are killers, if you have a particularly crazy jag you might not have much luck keeping other fish in there. If he's mellow, ,you might be fine.
I would avoid other parachromis species that look similar to the jag. I also would let him be the king of the tank, don't put other fish that will challenge his dominance. If you put other fish that stay a little smaller (easy given how big jags get) and don't look like him, you will be better off.
Red devil, tetracanthus, lyonsi, salvini, texas/carpintis, convicts, jack Dempsey. These are good candidates.
CA communities are like balancing acts. I can't tell you these fish will definitely work. Only way to do it, is to put some in and be willing to sell/add fish until you find a balance that works. Don't drop fish in one at a time, they will be singled out. You should probably keep at least 5 or 6 fish in here if you want a community, so that they are all somewhat distracted.
Good luck. CA communities are awesome, but are easier said than done, and almost always have issues.

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Thanks for the answer my friend! I like jacks and Red Devils, what about Midas polypterous or snakeheads or even an aro. I want to make a monster tank as you see that’s why i ask about all these kind of fishes. If they don’t do well i will make a CA “community” tank..or a bloodbath

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Actually you are probably better off with non-cichlid tankmates such as the aro, etc. I assumed you wanted cichlid tankmates because it is in the CA/SA section.
If you want to add ANY other cichlids, I would still add at least 3 others to distract the jag. 2 fish = one dominant fish and one dead fish, when it comes to cichlids.
Polypterus are great cichlid tankmates. I have kept a large ornatipinnis with very aggressive cichlids (vieja, amphilophus) and they didn't give him a second though. I have also kept Senegal with more peaceful SA cichlids, also was fine.
Arowana, is a bit more difficult. The silver aro would probably go fine with your jag, but whether 300 will be a large enough permanent home, is debatable. Jardini would be better size-wise but they are killers, might not want to share even a big tank like yours.
Snakeheads I know almost nothing about, other than I want one.

Reactions: NikosKoul

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Definately i will add more than 3 fish/cichlids to distract the jag in the tank. I am thinking about a school of Silver dollars a couple of oscars some severums and a vieja (hybrid). I have a second one 500g i ll add there the black aro with a pacu i guess :p

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Nice yeah the Aro will be much better in the 500 gallon. Sounds like a good home for him.
How big is your jag, and what is his behavior like? The severums might be a bit on the peaceful side to deal with him. But every jaguar is different, and in a 300 it might be fine. Just something to keep in mind.

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Well now he is about 8cm it’s a juvenile but i want him to grow and have a good life with other fish in a community tank. I have the oscar ,oscar is about x2+ his/her size

Reactions: Gourami Swami

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
IMHO its a mistake to have a jag or dovi with an Oscar, with the exception of a 300g plus tank.

with a 140 to 180, can have none aggressive larger fish, pleco, GKF, sun cat and the such.
but a 75,90,125 best kept to an Oscar tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store