Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Japanese trapdoor snail qwessins?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by GamerChick5567, Oct 7, 2018.

1. GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567 MFK Members

Marissa
      Saturday at 3:21 PM
      Hey all. I'm trying to think of something that can help get rid of any extra waste in my 125. Just swapped over to goldfish. It's a mix of baby fancies so they will be fed well to grow into big fat lards buahaha.

I know I have seen these snails a few times at the lfs.... So with that said:

- Lowest temp to keep these snails? There is a good chance the tank might get below 50° since it's on the patio. I have heard they can overwinter fine but is this true?
      -Will goldfish eat them once they get full size? (10"+ goldies eventually.)
      -Do they only eat diatoms or other fluffy algae? What about bba? The tank gets greenspot algae. I am not currently running the lights to save on my power bill.
      -Any parameters I will need to consider? Like overly sensitive to nitrates?

Hmmm.

2. Go_redfish

Go_redfish MFK Members

Olivia
      Today at 8:45 AM
      You dont want to keep short bodied fancy gf in temps 50 and under. Causes damage to organs and eventual failure

3. Go_redfish

Go_redfish MFK Members

Olivia
      Today at 8:45 AM
      As far as the snails go, the ones in my ponds survived winter freeze. As long as you have gas exchange and the water doesn't freeze solid you will still have snails in the spring. They will eat any surface growing algea and scavenge decaying organics.

Snails help break down alot of waste but regular cleaning and maintenance is still required

GamerChick5567 likes this.
    4. GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567 MFK Members

Marissa
      Saturday at 3:21 PM
      Ah. Was thinking fancies would still be like commons where they can hibernate a little. But now that I think about it their little insides must be mooshed weird since they look like little balloons so I bet they would be blocked up too much.

Good info.

Guess I'll have to build some real insulation or actually build that roof solar panel idea I had and keep the temp at at least 60. Meh. Mostly just gotta skimp on my power bill this winter as much as possible.

But anyways back to the snails. Mostly I will need an extra mouth or 2 to just pick up some leftover veggie skins when I'm at work or other noms that didn't get found. Hmmmm.

Deadliestviper7 likes this.
    5. Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7 The Necromancer

Jason m
      39 minutes ago
      Solar heater would be great!