Jardini at US Border

chomoney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Hi Folks -

I’m from the US but am visiting a friend in Canada. I came across an AWESOME Jardini up here at a great price that I’d love to grab.

However, I’m wondering what kind of trouble I might have at the border since they look so similar to Asians. Any thoughts or experiences?

I’d love to pick up this particular specimen, but just wondering if it’s going to be more trouble than it’s worth

Thanks!

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep,a few years ago I went through a big hassle when I went up there to pick up a fish.

Reactions: tlindsey

chomoney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Ugh. I was afraid of that.

Were you ultimately able to keep the fish? If so, would you classify the debacle as “not worth it?”

chomoney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
Contact US customs first
I have. They essentially go by the scientific name, ask you if it’s for personal hobby only and say “yeah that’s fine”

My concern though, is when I get to the border, a visual inspection is going to lead to a very suspicious border agent that doesn’t take me at my word with the scientific name.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I have. They essentially go by the scientific name, ask you if it’s for personal hobby only and say “yeah that’s fine”

My concern though, is when I get to the border, a visual inspection is going to lead to a very suspicious border agent that doesn’t take me at my word with the scientific name.
I doubt they'll much care

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
That’s my hope! Just wondering if the untrained eye is going to assume “oh that’s that Asian fish I saw on some training material awhile back!”
I still think they won't care,even if one guy thinks it's a Asian arrow it'll soon be resolved if you keep your temper, most of the guys at the u.s Canada border are good dudes.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Fingers crossed. Thanks for the input!
Why stress so much over an Jardini just buy one in the states. I’m sure there’s tons of Jardini, lei, whatever around you are without the risk... unless it’s not a Jardini :D lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store