Jardini bulging eyes

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
Hi, I have a Jardini that is approximately 11 1/2". I recently started feeding him superworms and mealworms. Everything was fine for the last week. Saturday I came to my shop to find what looks like he threw up and both eyes were bulged out to an extreme. A little history, 6 months ago after eating a large nightcrawler as he swallowed I saw his right eye bulge out. A few days later it was back to normal. Since then occasionally he would have that eye bulge out but it would always go back in. Water quality is good. 0 Ammonia, Nitrite, 5 Nitrate. He is in a custom 120gallon tank . The picture will show how severe the eyes were Saturday morning, today they are normal. I did add Epsom salt to the tank on Saturday. My question is how soon should I try feeding again and should I not feed the superworms and mealworms. Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you!

1922.jpeg

1921.jpeg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
How are you testing? Strips or liquid? What is your water change schedule and what filtration, substrate etc. Popeye is a condition usually caused by some form of internal stress to the fish.

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
How are you testing? Strips or liquid? What is your water change schedule and what filtration, substrate etc. Popeye is a condition usually caused by some form of internal stress to the fish.
So I use liquid test kits, API. I have one Fx6 and one eheim pro 3 xl1200. I also have an airstone and jebao wavemaker. There is about 3/4 to 1 inch of black sand. Temp is at 83. I change 30% in the morning and 30% in the evening once a week. I use a 40 gallon tank to pre heat and dechlorinate the water before changing so it is the same as the main tank.

1562000513966800612371.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Never seen it like this. Looks more of a defect. Would keep the water clean and feed a pellet. Would avoid the mealworms and earthworms for now. Not sure if it’s related and I couldn’t see it being causal.

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
Never seen it like this. Looks more of a defect. Would keep the water clean and feed a pellet. Would avoid the mealworms and earthworms for now. Not sure if it’s related and I couldn’t see it being causal.
Thanks, yeah it is strange. I will try pellets. He has never really gone for them. Would you recommend the Hikari food sticks?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks, yeah it is strange. I will try pellets. He has never really gone for them. Would you recommend the Hikari food sticks?
It’s a good choice. Maybe soak in some garlic and fast for a few days.

Reactions: Cabinetman 1

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If that's what you have, then go ahead and train him using the Hikari food sticks. If this fish is about 6-8" long, he would be fine not eating for 3-4 weeks while you are pellet training him.

Reactions: Cabinetman 1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store