Jbj nano cube light ideas?

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
So im converting a 6gallon nano cube into a reef.nothing fancy just softies and nemo. I bought a 50/50 bulb and it went fizz pop and doesnt turn on. The hood was already not working before but i thought it just needed a new bulb. Wrong. So now im stuck kinda because the replacement hood is a bit more than im willing to spend when this was suppose to be a simple side project. Does anyone have a cheap alternative for a light?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
You can buy LED bulbs that fit into traditional light sockets that are the right spectrum to grow corals, you could pick up one of those and throw it into a desk lamp for not to much

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
You can buy LED bulbs that fit into traditional light sockets that are the right spectrum to grow corals, you could pick up one of those and throw it into a desk lamp for not to much
You are thinking of a par30 or par38 bulb. Those would work but they need to be quite a bit higher above the water than a normal t5 light.

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
They shouldn't have to be that much higher, here are some LED clamp lights that don't look like they sit much more than 6" off the water, they would probably be an even better option too since they clamp to the tank

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+10704+24473&pcatid=24473
Par38 bulbs need to be high off of the tank. They have much more par than those clamp lights from foster and smith. One of those clamp lights would work really well, especially for what you are thinking of doing. But then you are limited to low light corals

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store