JD fry feeding?

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Hello I was wonder in what I should feed my newly hatched JD fry I cant go get baby brine my really only fish store is pet smart I have frozen adult brine could I blend this instead also heard egg yoke could work what does everyone think?

Thanks!!]

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
not the same but i feed the fry i have finely crushed flake food or the dust at bottom of other food containers.

GL!

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
I responded on your other thread but artificial foods that are easily found and work for me are Hikari first bites, micro pellets, and vibra bites. Any quality flake food, and Tetra color tropical granules are also good. You can graduate them up through the different sized foods and they can all be ground up to be smaller if necessary. I have not tried Xtreme fish foods yet but I've heard great things and they make a micro pellets and a krill flake that could be used for fry.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
I responded on your other thread but artificial foods that are easily found and work for me are Hikari first bites, micro pellets, and vibra bites. Any quality flake food, and Tetra color tropical granules are also good. You can graduate them up through the different sized foods and they can all be ground up to be smaller if necessary. I have not tried Xtreme fish foods yet but I've heard great things and they make a micro pellets and a krill flake that could be used for fry.
Is my mix ok for now 50/50 mix of cucumber and adult brine shrimp blended to fine particals then frozen I thaw until it is a cloud of food then feed they seem to like it is this ok for now?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Yeah that's probably ok for now. I was just recommending store bought stuff that works for me in case you wanted to get away from the homemade approach. It would hurt to do both. I feed my fish a mix of everything that's appropriately sized for the sake of variety.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Live baby brine shrimp are never sold that I'm aware of, you need to buy the dry eggs, and hatch them yourself.
I used to go to brineshrimpdirect.com for eggs, and I also used their hatcheries.
For fry, I blend the newly hatched artemia, with finely crushed flake food, and shoot them into the school of free swimmers with a pipet, or turkey baster. The moving shrimp seem to create a feeding response from cichlid fry, and helps associate flake as food.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store