JD fry questions

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
I have a pair of JD's that just had babys which are now in the late stages of the wiggler stag. I just had some questions

1. how to clean the tank with a python system while babys are in the tank
2. do you feed wigglers or do the absorb their egg sac?
3. how long till they are free swimming
4. they mom keeps moving them almost every day is this normal?

Thanks!!

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
The mom will keep them in a group in order to protect them. The older they get the more freedom she will give them. You can put a strainer on the python but my suggestion is to simply use a smaller gravel vac that produces less suction, and drain into a bucket. And be ready to pinch the hose to stop the outflow if a fish does get into the tube. They will swim out on their own, and worse case scenario if you did vac one out you can safely retrieve it from the bucket. They will absorb the egg sac first, once they are free swimming you can start feeding them and they will quickly learn that you are their source of food. Hikari first bites, micro pellets, and vibra bites are three different sized foods that work well for me that can be found pretty easily at most pet stores. The micro pellets are nice and soft so you can grind them up a bit in your fingers to make it smaller. Tetra color tropical granules are another food that works well when they start to get a bit more size to them.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
How are the fry?

Answers:
1. Depends on the tank, if they are in a large tank, the fry will stay together in the beginning, so you can siphon that water from a diff area of the tank. If they are in a small tank, like a 10 gallon, you may need to use a smaller siphon tool. You could use airline tubing.
2. I don't feed wigglers, but I start planning to feed at wiggler day #3.
3. They are usually free swimming by day#3 of wiggler stage. I think of it like this: 3 days as an egg. 3 days as a wiggler. So plan to start feeding on Day#7 after the eggs are laid.
4. Yes, they get moved around a LOT.

I have my best growth rates with live baby brine shrimp.(BBS). In the beginning, I try to feed 4 times a day, small amounts. For the first 2 months, twice a day feeds at least for optimal growth. Of course, then you'll need plenty of water changes. If not BBS, I agree with Rass' advice above.

Can you share some pics?

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
YankeeJack YankeeJack The fry are doing great! and I have not lost many they range in size from 1/8 to 1/2 inch I feed a homemade food that they like and seems to be good for their growth sadly the female JD jumped out but the dad is doing a great job raising them I do a main 50/ water change with several random ones through out the week they are in my divided 75 with my baby delhezi polys on the other side I will work on getting pics!:)

How are the fry?

Answers:
1. Depends on the tank, if they are in a large tank, the fry will stay together in the beginning, so you can siphon that water from a diff area of the tank. If they are in a small tank, like a 10 gallon, you may need to use a smaller siphon tool. You could use airline tubing.
2. I don't feed wigglers, but I start planning to feed at wiggler day #3.
3. They are usually free swimming by day#3 of wiggler stage. I think of it like this: 3 days as an egg. 3 days as a wiggler. So plan to start feeding on Day#7 after the eggs are laid.
4. Yes, they get moved around a LOT.

I have my best growth rates with live baby brine shrimp.(BBS). In the beginning, I try to feed 4 times a day, small amounts. For the first 2 months, twice a day feeds at least for optimal growth. Of course, then you'll need plenty of water changes. If not BBS, I agree with Rass' advice above.

Can you share some pics?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store