jelly catfish

matt clark

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
guernsey
hi everyone just got myself a pseudopimelodus apurensis aka jelly catfish. what do people think of these fish. are they hard to get hold of. what is there growth rate like

HPIZZLE

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2007
they are fairly rare. im not sure on growth rates but 18" is common with 2' accomplished. diet of an RTC.

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
One of my favorite species ever, only sold mine because it outgrew it's confines. They are somewhat rare in the hobby anymore. Expect a growth rate of around an inch a month until they reach around 14" then their growth seems to slow down lengthwise but as they grow larger they become much much thicker and "girthy". I wouldn't recommend you keep it with another fish, sooner or later you'll regret doing so... http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/ms_icons/attach/gif.gif

Apur-4.gif

matt clark

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
guernsey
just got myself a second as they only got 2 in and its the first time they have ever come in and they dont think they will get anymore. . these are the pics i took yesterday . within 15 min of him going in the tank he started eating

002.JPG

005.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Love it.

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Sweet! Can't blame you for wanting two of 'em as they usually don't show up very often. Two in the same tank will get along for a while when they're small but expect them to fight for dominance and territory as they grow larger. They tend to not like their own kind or any other pseudopimelodid species such as p. fowleri or bufonis for example and the most agressive fish will eventually kill the other so sooner or later you will have to separate them.
Here's an amazing photo (not mine) of two apurensis briefly put into the same tank and the fight in progress....http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/ms_icons/attach/gif.gif

Apurensis-War-1.gif

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store