Juiced peacock cichlids

Montaukfish

Feeder Fish
Dec 5, 2019
hey guys I bought 10 OB peacocks from petco and I just found out that they’re juiced I’m new to Africans and was wondering if people have had the color go away then come back and if they were able to breed as well as if the life expectancy was stunted or not

thanks in advance

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
hey guys I bought 10 OB peacocks from petco and I just found out that they’re juiced I’m new to Africans and was wondering if people have had the color go away then come back and if they were able to breed as well as if the life expectancy was stunted or not

thanks in advance
I think they should turn out fine, they might color down some, but the color will return

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Adamson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Switzerland
If they are super colored up at that size, they are definitely juiced. I’ve had juiced up males from Petco turn out to be females...
That female turned out to be holding fry, so yes, they can be fertile!
They will become less colorful, but will likely skill look decent.
The attached photos are the same fish. Juiced, and then 2 months later when it wore off.

235159B1-F3DF-4C58-BBE7-ADBF1D916FA5.jpeg

8EA35304-A646-40AB-98F7-2D498DAFE0E8.jpeg

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Imo it's a wait and see situation. I bred them for a while and ime OBs often do color up early and, depending on genetics, females can also be colorful.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

ryang85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2019
Imo it's a wait and see situation. I bred them for a while and ime OBs often do color up early and, depending on genetics, females can also be colorful.
I've had 2" OB males in full color. I've also had 3" females that has blue cheeks that look like males and they seem to be the best breeders.

Usually a good way to tell a juiced OB is by the orange. At 2" even the best males shouldnt have much bright orange and should have a good amount of blue if they show anything. I've always made a point to avoid large store cichlids because I've heard a lot of bad things.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store