Jumped on the Red Sand Bandwagon

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
IMG_9239.JPG IMG_9240.JPG IMG_9247.JPG IMG_9249.JPG IMG_9230.JPG IMG_9231.JPG IMG_9233.JPG Title says it all. Added about 50lbs of natural red sand. Have some slightly darker stuff I'm washing to mix in as well but so far I'm liking the change. The lights wash the sand out a little but they make the greens pop like crazy on the plants so it's a fair trade off. Also decided I didn't like the bacopa in my tank so am in the process of clearing it out to make room for some larger species of sword plants and Madagascan aponogeton. With the higher pressure co2 system the bacopa was just growing algae on the stalks so I'm added larger leaved plants that will in theory use more co2 since they will have more area to absorb light. Sorry I don't have more poly pics

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
View attachment 1268188 View attachment 1268189 View attachment 1268190 View attachment 1268191 View attachment 1268192 View attachment 1268193 View attachment 1268194 Title says it all. Added about 50lbs of natural red sand. Have some slightly darker stuff I'm washing to mix in as well but so far I'm liking the change. The lights wash the sand out a little but they make the greens pop like crazy on the plants so it's a fair trade off. Also decided I didn't like the bacopa in my tank so am in the process of clearing it out to make room for some larger species of sword plants and Madagascan aponogeton. With the higher pressure co2 system the bacopa was just growing algae on the stalks so I'm added larger leaved plants that will in theory use more co2 since they will have more area to absorb light. Sorry I don't have more poly pics

Yes it most definitely making the plants pop.

Reactions: Experiment397

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
Thanks guys!

Burbotman Burbotman i was hoping it would stay natural looking. Going to be adding a couple of leaf litter packs from tannin aquatics soon to get back to my slightly stained water and leaf litter for the polys to forage through

Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 i know it took me too long lol. Your tank was the one that finally pushed me over to the red sand

J jaws7777 thanks man! As always just aspiring to a setup of your standard. i think it's about time for you to join team Datnoid though ;)

Lingwendil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2012
Oakley, Ca.
Looks good. Even better that you collected it yourself! Love a planted tank for the big guys like this, way better than a boring tank of just sand and a couple rocks and wood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store