"Jumping" catfish sp.?

PhullTank57

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2005
The Next Level
www.youtube.com
I know, I know, "Common name"... sucks!! :shakehead
Called a "Jumping or Jumper" catfish? Pimilodid like sp. from South America.

Anybody ever heard of this catfish? Pics?? :confused:

Thanks! :)

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
nope but sounds cool

mauls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Kansas City, Missouri
Well if your talking about the fish i know of, they are jumping carp, a pest to the rivers. They came to our river in the flood of 1993, im in kansas city missouri. I often fish teh missouri river, and these fish get spooked by the engine noise and jump anywhere from 1 to 4 feet in the air. People have actueally been killed by these fish by getting hit in the head whiel traveling at high speeds. Anyways, we often use these fish as shotgun practice, its pretty amusing, and you have to be a quick shot. Please note these fish are a pest, they eat all the micro algea that other fish need to survive on, and they breed very fast. The missouri consveration are thinking of ways to get rid of these fish completely. My shotgun does a pretty good job though.

I could be way off though, i've never heard of a jumping catfish, just a jumping carp. So sorry if im not even close to what your talking about.. haha

Mauls~

View attachment 1088013

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Rui

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Calgary, Canada
I wonder if they could be referring to the Juruense? They kinda 'hop' now and again on their tripod. My best guess anyways.

lophius

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
UK
the name 'jumping catfish' does indeed refer to jurense - nothing particularly special.

carl

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
go red tail

how much do they go for? i would like one of these

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store