Juruense cat feeding

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you so much. This is very helpful to many having problems with feeding jurs, especially if you described in better detail what the stubbornness was, how long, what you tried, etc.

Please, come back to this thread with updates throughout the fish's life.

James Atlas

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Thank you very much. For the first few days he was "finding his place" in the aquarium and walked around on his pectorals. Eventually he found a perch near the external filter return (1400lph). On day six he seemed settled so I decided to try him on some prawn which he bit and released. He seemed to refuse anything that offered the slightest resistance (too large to be immediately swallowed or didn't come off the feeding stick instantly) the trick seemed to be to offer tiny morsels that were barely held on the stick. Once he had taken enough tiny pieces to put a bulge in his belly I left him for two days to digest it. From there on in I have gradually increased his portion sizes and variety and occasionally drop live blackworms into the current. He now feeds like a tiger shark and has even tried to swallow my finger! My pH is 7, ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm and NO3 Is between 5 and 10ppm. I do a 25% water change every 3 days.

It's worth mentioning that he developed ich on day two (because I'm an idiot and was having a mini cycle in my quarantine tank). I raised the temp to 87f and added 3 grams of salt per litre over for days. He got rid of the ich and fed well throughout. Once he had shown no spots for a week I stopped adding new salt with his water changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That's what I call helpful! :) So you have been employing the stick from the get-go. Smart. Overall, your experience is spectacularly successful. For contrast, I had to fast my jurs at one point for 3-6 months in order to wean them off live guppies and convince them to try new, non-live feed. (https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...my-jurs-off-live-guppies.514580/#post-6161643 ) No stick involved. Just place new feed in the tank overnight and take out when uneaten. My former way is so cruel and awkward compared to yours.

How long is your stick and what is it exactly? Chopstick? Toothpick?

Was the fish afraid of the stick and/or your hand entering the water and approaching it?

BTW, you have a 15 min grace period to edit, expand, etc. your post. Please used them to avoid multiple posts in quick succession.

Last edited:
Reactions: James Atlas

James Atlas

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
That's what I call helpful! :) So you have been employing the stick from the get-go. Smart. Overall, your experience is spectacularly successful. For contrast, I had to fast my jurs at one point for 3-6 months in order to wean them off live guppies and convince them to try new, non-live feed. (https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...my-jurs-off-live-guppies.514580/#post-6161643 ) No stick involved. Just place new feed in the tank overnight and take out when uneaten. My former way is so cruel and awkward compared to yours.

How long is your stick and what is it exactly? Chopstick? Toothpick?

Was the fish afraid of the stick and/or your hand entering the water and approaching it?

BTW, you have a 15 min grace period to edit, expand, etc. your post. Please used them to avoid multiple posts in quick succession.
Thank you for the advice re editing. I did try but I think I came back too late. The stick is a 12" bamboo skewer with the end blunted slightly. He was afraid at first so I kept my hand out of the water so as not to introduce vibrations/ smells. Once he began to react to the smell of food I got bolder. I'm fairly certain he will now hand feed. I'll try tonight to get a video. He still won't feed when he is at the bottom of the tank. I suspect that in the wild they will swim "on the spot" in fast flowing water and allow the food to come to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store