Good price! Free! Seachem substrate?

Reactions: Finthusiast

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Some plants thrive in higher pH water, some don't, depends on species.
I live near Lake Gatun Panama, where I collected a number of my plants, and pH sometime hovers at around 9.
As you can see, plants are everywhere.
fullsizeoutput_b47.jpeg
And because of the water here, my tank easily hovers around pH 8 (sometimes higher, sometimes lower), that tank below, and
the plants are doing fairly well
fullsizeoutput_195f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1859.jpeg
If you take some pH and other strips along where you collect, you can find out what the plants and fish you collect are accustomed to.
I usually take a kit along when I collect to give me an idea of the local conditions and reality.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Did you do any sort of treatment to kill any potential parasites or other things that could have been living on the plants prior to putting them in your tank?

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
If you take some pH and other strips along where you collect, you can find out what the plants and fish you collect are accustomed to.
I usually take a kit along when I collect to give me an idea of the local conditions and reality.
Wow that ia an excellent idea! Thank you again and again duanes for the help, you truly are an expert in all your advice!

Did you do any sort of treatment to kill any potential parasites or other things that could have been living on the plants prior to putting them in your tank?

No just rinsed real good in some tap water. There are no fish in the aquarium and I am in the process of cycling the tank as it is brand new. At the moment the tank is reading less than 0.25 ppm ammonia, around 2-5 ppm nitrite and I detect less than 5ppm nitrate. Is there anything I should be doing to help this process along? Also any advice for these plants in this current environment will Be greatly appreciated!

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I'm not the person to go to for cycling advice so I'll leave it up to the others, I would imagine that Duanes could answer your questions though.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have found adding plants to an uncycled tank, really helps speeding up the process.
But as fishhead103666 warned, the being proactive with wild plants is a good idea, because they may be the harbingers of evil forces entering your tank.
Rinsing is great, but sometimes a little more aggressive approach is required to dislodge parasite eggs, or dormant pathogenic bacteria.
Could be a dip in brine is OK, more effective would be dips in either Potassium permanganate, or alum are better.
I had brought some plants in from my pond, and put them in a fry tank some years back, and noticed the fry population dwindling, mia culpa of course, I didn't notice this guy (or the egg he road in on) until it was right in my face, and about 1/3rd of the fry were M.I.A..

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Thanka for the added help on that subject Ill keep an eye around for visible signs of trouble. Any way to be safe now that they are already in the tank? Thank tou for the replys

KenChan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2019
Some plants thrive in higher pH water, some don't, depends on species.
I live near Lake Gatun Panama, where I collected a number of my plants, and pH sometime hovers at around 9.
As you can see, plants are everywhere.
View attachment 1392828
And because of the water here, my tank easily hovers around pH 8 (sometimes higher, sometimes lower), that tank below, and
the plants are doing fairly well
View attachment 1392829
View attachment 1392830
lovely tank.s

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store