Just received my Discus

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
After setting up my tank and waiting for months, I finally have my Discus.

Discus in QT tank.jpg

After a day in Quarantine, I added them to my main aquarium.
Discus in Main tank.jpg

They are looking fantastic and the pictures don't do them true justice as they are hiding behind the log most of the time and its hard to get good pictures.
There are 3 Golden Melons, 3 Blue Diamons, 3 Cobolts (not sure of the last 3).

Waiting on them to start eating and getting more used to the presence of humans at or around the tank, after which I will happy and thrilled.
Its my first attempt and probably only attempt at Discus, so its both an exciting as well as a terrifying time.

lee1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
paradise
After setting up my tank and waiting for months, I finally have my Discus.

View attachment 1315478

After a day in Quarantine, I added them to my main aquarium.
View attachment 1315479

They are looking fantastic and the pictures don't do them true justice as they are hiding behind the log most of the time and its hard to get good pictures.
There are 3 Golden Melons, 3 Blue Diamons, 3 Cobolts (not sure of the last 3).

Waiting on them to start eating and getting more used to the presence of humans at or around the tank, after which I will happy and thrilled.
Its my first attempt and probably only attempt at Discus, so its both an exciting as well as a terrifying time.
Other 3 look to be San Meras

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Between 3-4 inches. A few are small so around 3 inches while most of them will be 3.5 to 4 inches in size.

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Discus out eating.jpg
Another pic.
Been difficult to get decent pics as they are still scared and will hide behind the log when I approach the tank.
Once they start freely eating, I will be thrilled and know that they have settled in nicely.

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
I finally got the time to prepare a beef heart mix (some personal issues made it impossible to do so earlier) and the discus came out of hiding from behind the log to eat it as soon as it hit the water. So feeding problems are over, they are now well fed and hopefully they will keep eating well on a daily basis.

One discus has also taken to the pellets and a couple others are now following his lead. Hopefully the rest will also start eating pellets soon, which would enable me to feed pellets in the morning and beef heart in the evening. I am guessing they don't associate the pellets as food as the breeder never fed them pellets.
My main concern is now over and now its just about keeping up the water change schedule and being regular about it.

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Other 3 look to be San Meras
Credit where credit it due. I asked the same question on a Discus website and nobody gave me the answer. Yesterday I spoke to the breeder who confirmed that they are brown San Meras, so you were correct.

Fish are now doing great. They were out and about yesterday and confident enough to come to the front of the tank with me standing there, though the televisions volume as well as picture still seems to spook them a bit.
One of the San Meras has suddenly become darker and is bullying everyone else. My guess is he is trying to establish himself as the alpha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store