Just received new canister filter...

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
and I'm not sure what to do. I intend to replace an established tank with a new one while utilizing the rocks, decor and about 25% of the old water. Only the tank will be foriegn. Should I run the new filter on the old tank until I'm ready to bring the new tank online and if so, what media should I use. Seems an awful lot of carbon. New filter is a polar aurora(sunsun) 370 with 3baskets and a 9v u.v. light. Tia. Old tank pictured.

20200627_133349.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

parrthed

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2006
Charlestown
You can run the canister and maybe use some of your bio media out of your hang on to seed it.

Or you could just run your hang on with the canister on the new tank for a while.

Not familiar with that particular canister but I’m sure most any biomedia will suffice for your situation. Foam or ceramic.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
and I'm not sure what to do. I intend to replace an established tank with a new one while utilizing the rocks, decor and about 25% of the old water. Only the tank will be foriegn. Should I run the new filter on the old tank until I'm ready to bring the new tank online and if so, what media should I use. Seems an awful lot of carbon. New filter is a polar aurora(sunsun) 370 with 3baskets and a 9v u.v. light. Tia. Old tank pictured.

View attachment 1424363
I personally would put the media for the new filter in the HOB or your current Canister filter. Also placing the media in the aquarium will help it get seeded until you get the new aquarium. I would not run the new Canister on that aquarium because it may be too much current for the fish to handle but if you can adjust the flow then forget what I said earlier and run new filter on the current aquarium.

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
Apparently the flow is adjustable. It also has a directional nozzle which I intended on using lest the spray bar blast the living room.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
What I do is put some of the 'dirty' media from an established filter into the new filter, including some poly fiber, which I use in all my filters for water 'polishing'. Then I stock and feed the new tank lightly at first. Theoretically, the beneficial bacteria in you filter can multiply every 24 hours or so, I like to give it a few days to a week before adding more fish or feeding more. Testing ammonia/nitrite will let you know without guessing-- alternately I've used Seachem's Ammonia Alert cards in new tanks, I've double checked them with an ammonia test and they do work ime. The ammonia card has an advantage in only reacting to ammonia in its toxic form while most liquid tests react to total ammonia. While I look for zero ammonia anyway, technically, with a standard test you need a pH conversion chart to ascertain the actual percentage of ammonia (toxic) vs ammonium (not toxic). Neutral or lower pH skews more toward the non-toxic form, higher pH skews more to toxic.

That's the beauty of the ammonia card, it reacts only to toxic ammonia, doesn't tell you nitrite, though.

If your old tank has gravel you can also transfer some of the gravel, since that also harbors part of your bacteria colony in a tank. I've also put a bag of gravel from an established tank into a new filter to seed it.

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
I intend to use the old gravel mixed with new subs (probably pool filter sand) and as much of the old tank water as I can. Hopefully 50% or so. The only thing new will be the filter and the aquarium itself.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I wouldn't worry about transfer of old water. Transfer of old media and gravel will suffice for BB.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store