Just wondering??

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
My plecos always hide aswell. But once I started them on cuecumber now they will come out when the lights are on but only until it is gone and then they go right back into hideing. Might not be the same for other people but it works for me. One thing though is the tank that I have them in I dimmed the lights so you do see them occasionally.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
most of the plecos I've kept have eventually gotten to the point where they were perfectly comfortable foraging for food with the lights on or off. every time I drop sinking pellets into my 55 the L142, adonis and albino bristlenose are out and about munching on their own pellets. :)

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
kuteboy said:
May i ask sir how can you tell if they are healthy, if they usually hiding in the dark places like log and artificial caves??

And when is the best time on feeding them day time or night ??
The easiest way to tell if they are healthy, aside from parasitic infestations, is to look at their stomach when they are against the glass. If it appears to be sunken it is a bad sign. Usually a sign of malnutrition, but if you are feeding your different plecs cucumber they should be fine. I don't remember if you were the one that had the Acanthicus Adonis or not, but these plecos do need some protein in their diet, more than most plecos. I lay some beefheart in the tank for mine. He usually comes to the top and swims upside down and sucks on the beefheart until it sinks to the bottom.
Side note: I used to have a 25" common, and he was so big that he became somewhat carnivorous... actually he was like this from about 20" on. He would swim up near the surface circling and when he got over some poor unknowing fish or sometimes snails, he would dive down on top of them, and trap them under his weight and suck them to death. I observed this numerous times, but at night when I was asleep there was no stopping him. I would wake up in the morning finding fish with big round white spots.

For the most part plecos do need to be fed at night. the majority of mine are in my Arowana tank, and if i try to feed them at night the arowanas will just eat the algae wafers. so I usually feed algae wafers in the morning, and Cucumber at night, but I have a moonlight, and use that so I can watch as they eat, and check on health. My adonis eats in the morning with the rest of the fish in his tank. He will eat just about anything, even the Ocean Plankton I throw in for my Archer fish.

Drowning

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2006
eugene, or
Hey Kuteboy -

i hate that i have to call you that btw. I have 2 blue phantoms and know that they like shrimp pellets and krill. I have an experiment tank that im working on. Its a small breeder with a TON of different kinds of fancy plecos. A kind of behavioral study. I think i might start a thread about it. Generally, if you can give the fancy plecos everything they prefer, it doesnt matter what kinds you mix. All of my plecos in the experiment tank are actually extremely active. A couple of them swim around like tetras. The most fun ive had in a tank for a while. I have 2 scribble tigers, 2 gold nuggets, 1 grey leporacanthis, 1 blue panaque, 1 royal pleco, 1 adonis antithicus, 1 zebra/tiger pecoltia, 2 blue phantoms, 1 midnight/starlight pleco, all in the same small tank. 81 degrees, low lighting, tons of mopani wood, hornwort, thin layer of sand, and feed them every night. I feed krill, wafers, blood worms, peas. I have yet to seen any aggression except for the blue phantoms who fought vigorously in the beginning but havent touched eachother for a long while. I feed at night but dont have to turn off the llights to start seeing them gobble up food. Its amazing, i never thought that something like this would work, but its an AMAZING tank.

Drowning

Drowning

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Drowning said:
Hey Kuteboy -

i hate that i have to call you that btw. I have 2 blue phantoms and know that they like shrimp pellets and krill. I have an experiment tank that im working on. Its a small breeder with a TON of different kinds of fancy plecos. A kind of behavioral study. I think i might start a thread about it. Generally, if you can give the fancy plecos everything they prefer, it doesnt matter what kinds you mix. All of my plecos in the experiment tank are actually extremely active. A couple of them swim around like tetras. The most fun ive had in a tank for a while. I have 2 scribble tigers, 2 gold nuggets, 1 grey leporacanthis, 1 blue panaque, 1 royal pleco, 1 adonis antithicus, 1 zebra/tiger pecoltia, 2 blue phantoms, 1 midnight/starlight pleco, all in the same small tank. 81 degrees, low lighting, tons of mopani wood, hornwort, thin layer of sand, and feed them every night. I feed krill, wafers, blood worms, peas. I have yet to seen any aggression except for the blue phantoms who fought vigorously in the beginning but havent touched eachother for a long while. I feed at night but dont have to turn off the llights to start seeing them gobble up food. Its amazing, i never thought that something like this would work, but its an AMAZING tank.

Drowning

Drowning
Don't your GNP's fight? My GNP won't tolerate any other pleco near his driftwood cave. By the way, have you ever tried moon lights?

Daniel Machado

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2005
Fortal Town - Brazil
Ewurm,

All plecos are territorial, at least to defend their caves or food. As long as you have space and shelters enough, most species are ok. There are some REALLY mean species, but a huge tank usually solve this problem. My 0.02 ;)

Best regards.

Daniel.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
My pleco is often out and about toward afternoon/eve.Especially when I put something algae covered from another tank in or some zuchini

kuteboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
PHILIPPINES
Wow!! Thanks for some of the advice guys so far i had apply some of the tricks on how to feed them and how do we know if they are healthy.

so far as i feed them with frozen blood worn, sinking pellets, tetra bits, spirurina flakes and wafers.... i also check on their water filtration so that it wont contaminate the water with rotten foods or over feeding, as i notice their behavior they like to hide in the dark thats no secret but when you apply a system, feeding them day or night those pleco will slowly come out from the dark and swim like other fishes it will take awhile for them to adopt the environment

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store