Juvenile bowfin with fin rot

Viciousfishness

Feeder Fish
Apr 4, 2021
I recently acquired a small bowfin (3.5-4 in). Eats well and has colored up nicely, but I’ve noticed that his tail has what looks like a chunk eaten away. I’m guessing fin rot. I haven’t found much on the best way to treat bowfin for this, and I’ve never dealt with this problem before. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Ps has no tank mates at all

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Water changes and clean water. Nitrates below 20ppm. If it’s eating it should heal up. Could have been a bite/tear if kept with other bowfin. Would watch.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I recently acquired a small bowfin (3.5-4 in). Eats well and has colored up nicely, but I’ve noticed that his tail has what looks like a chunk eaten away. I’m guessing fin rot. I haven’t found much on the best way to treat bowfin for this, and I’ve never dealt with this problem before. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Ps has no tank mates at all
Welcome aboard
Agree with kno4te kno4te

Viciousfishness

Feeder Fish
Apr 4, 2021
Water changes and clean water. Nitrates below 20ppm. If it’s eating it should heal up. Could have been a bite/tear if kept with other bowfin. Would watch.
Awesome I will change the water as soon as possible and check the nitrates. Thank you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store