Kayak fishing?

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
Anybody on here kayak fish? Me and my buddy are getting into it so we can access the remote mountain lakes around here. Plenty of Jeep trails leading to mountain lakes that have a nice assortment of trout. Going to be doing some pike/musky fishing as well. Would love to see some of your setups so we can get some ideas for ours!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Not tried it but it should be fun, I'm a terrible lure fisherman so I can't help there and I can't imagine baiting unless you are float fishing ;)

There are lots of youtube videos as well

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I have one, that I haven't used in a few years. Keep saying I'll take out every season, but always manage to not get around to it. Mine is a 9'(?) sit inside that I modified for fishing. I installed 2 rod holders; an anchoring system that can move from bow to stern; and a sonar station.

Hoss Sauce

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2016
I've had a Ride 135 (gave to my brother) and a Jackson Kilroy that I just recently sold. I am now looking at buying another. I am an avid bass angler and just haven't used my kayak since I bought my bass boat, but I've gotta tell you, there's just something so much more relaxing and satisfying when you are in a kayak catching bass. Maybe its that when I'm in my boat I am always trying to put together a pattern and stressing about getting 5 keepers, even if I'm not in a tournament, but the pure joy of kayak fishing for me is something I've been missing.

I will tell you that a high end fishing kayak is worth it. I know they are expensive but the comfort and stability that you get from one is unreal. I could fish all day or even do multi day trips with my kayak, when all my friends would always complain of being sore after a few hours. Anyway hope this helps, If you've got the water to take advantage of it I say go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: Experiment397

Winfield92

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2017
Nomad
I have a 12' Field and Stream sit on top yak that I do a fair amount of fishing out of. I'm not a super heavy guy and notice that it doesn't track very well if I don't load down the front and back of it.

I have been looking a lot at higher end stuff, as I really do enjoy it, but things that are simple from a boat are complex from a kayak. Unless the water is totally dead, sometimes just lining staying in position to keep casting is a real pain, and it is pretty hard to adjust with a paddle while holding a rod. I would imagine fishing a huge open body of water like a salt angler would make this less a hassle, but when I'm trying to bass fish structure it can be a nuisance. I can't stop looking at Hobies with their paddle drives.

I bought mine a few years back and even when I get frustrated fishing out of it, I enjoy the kayaking side of the experience immensely.

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I have a 12' Field and Stream sit on top yak that I do a fair amount of fishing out of. I'm not a super heavy guy and notice that it doesn't track very well if I don't load down the front and back of it.

I have been looking a lot at higher end stuff, as I really do enjoy it, but things that are simple from a boat are complex from a kayak. Unless the water is totally dead, sometimes just lining staying in position to keep casting is a real pain, and it is pretty hard to adjust with a paddle while holding a rod. I would imagine fishing a huge open body of water like a salt angler would make this less a hassle, but when I'm trying to bass fish structure it can be a nuisance. I can't stop looking at Hobies with their paddle drives.

I bought mine a few years back and even when I get frustrated fishing out of it, I enjoy the kayaking side of the experience immensely.
W Winfield92 even out on the ocean we fish specific structure as well and it becomes even harder to stay in place with the ocean swell so most time you have to set up a drift and drift over rock piles that are 100'+ down or fishing for bass in the kelp you just grab a kelp stringer lift it into your yak and pin it down under your leg as an improvised anker.
Look at the new Hobies since they come with the new mirage drive that you can switch into reverse. The downside to Hobies is the weight so unless you have a trailer for them they are a PIA to load on a car

MDR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2011
Canada
I have a Hobie Adventure (came before the Hobie Revolution). No reverse but that is why I just carry a paddle on the side. Amazing kayak, I can troll with little input to the rudder and casting is great since it is pedal driven. They make Outback and ProAngler kayaks designed for fishing but I get by just fine in my "touring" one. Pricey but so worth it.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Motivated by this thread, I took advantage of this day off from work, and took out the kayak to do some fishing. Sunny 70F day, but very windy, so the yaking was a bit tough. Not so much as a nibble, but still it was good to be out on the yak.20170417_120238.jpg 20170417_120259.jpg

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
Me and my bro are finishing up our designs for outriggers and some other gear we will be adding on to ours for camping/overlanding with our kayaks in search of new fishing spots. So far we have designs for sails, outriggers, solar panels, a connecting panel to rig the two yaks together into a sort of double pontoon so we have a "table" in between us and ways to hold all of our fishing and camping gear. Going to go for designs similar to these but with slightly more specialized gear to make overnight/weekend trips a possibility

IMG_7312.JPG

IMG_7307.JPG

IMG_7306.JPG

Reactions: xraycer and Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store