Keeping a large tank in an RV?

SobaNoodle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2018
Hey, so I know this probably sounds silly, but has anyone kept a large tank (75-100 gal) in an RV or large fifth-wheel type camper/trailer? I am not sure how to look into the structure or load bearing issues. Housing prices being what they are, I am kindasorta looking at just living in an RV, but the snag is my pets. My tiny dog and small birds should fit in anywhere easily, but my West African Lungfish (named Soba) has always required a certain level of creativity. I'm very attached to her in an impractical way. I have been extremely lucky with lenient landlords over the past 7 years of caring for her, but just in case I can't find a decent apartment this time around, I am exploring various options. Please be gentle; I admit have no real idea how RVs or campers work and I just wanna keep my wet pet forever in spite of living in a rental dystopia. And since someone will probably ask, I can't move elsewhere in the country for a lot of non-negotiable reasons, unfortunately, and I've never really been in the home ownership income bracket. Yes, I know buying a baby lungfish 7 years ago on a vet tech salary was an incredibly impractical thing, but like I said, I'm extremely attached and would like to keep giving her a good life. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this, and for not laughing too hard.

Lawton C

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2018
Honestly, I do not think that is a good idea...The tank would not be stable, and the fish would more than likely be stressed from road noise. Not to mention the chance of the tank going through your floor. Depending on what part of the country you are in you could get a Rubbermaid tub and keep him in there. Than when you have to move have a small tank in the RV.

SobaNoodle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2018
The road vibration is definitely an issue I would be worried about too. I was planning on just parking somewhere with hookups, though, not travelling, so driving would be an irregular thing, just to empty the sewage tank or get gas.

The Rubbermaid tub might be an option, but she's already a little over two feet long and really needs the room in her current tank (100 gallon acrylic).

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Lawton C

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2018
The road vibration is definitely an issue I would be worried about too. I was planning on just parking somewhere with hookups, though, not travelling, so driving would be an irregular thing, just to empty the sewage tank or get gas.

The Rubbermaid tub might be an option, but she's already a little over two feet long and really needs the room in her current tank (100 gallon acrylic).
U can get an up to 300 gallon stock tanks, I use one on my back porch and Have a 18 in largemouth bass and large koi in it no problems. If you live somewhere where it stays warm personally I whould get the stock tank. In the winter you can either heat and cover the pond or try and find a smaller tank to fit in the RV for a few months.

SobaNoodle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2018
That's a good idea. I was thinking about possibly finding a place with a concrete pad and just keeping her outside. It doesn't freeze or get much over 90F around here.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Don’t quote me but I believe that the vibrations from driving could weaken the seams of the tank making it more likely to blow.

Lawton C

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2018
That's a good idea. I was thinking about possibly finding a place with a concrete pad and just keeping her outside. It doesn't freeze or get much over 90F around here.
Yea just make sure if its getting chilly to get a heater for it, and cover it if its getting really cold.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I would keep soba outdoors for as much as possible , and keep a tank indoors just in case, make sure that the tank is in a supported area of the r.v

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Everyone’s talking about road noise and vibration, let’s address the actual stop and go of this predicament!!! You hit the gas, water sloshes back. You tap the brakes, it soaks the driver. You make a turn, there goes the tank! Even if you were able to secure the tank for turns, you’d need an air tight lid to contain the water from sloshing right out of the tank.
That’s just keeping water in a box! Once you add a fish, it gets much more complicated from there!
The ATM guys from the show “Tanked” did a tank on a bus. They reinforced the frame and suspension, but then when they took it for a test drive, the water spilled everywhere. It would have to be in a stationary RV that wasn’t driving or you’d have to drain it, drive, then refill.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
let’s address the actual stop and go of this predicament!!! You hit the gas, water sloshes back. You tap the brakes, it soaks the driver. You make a turn, there goes the tank! Even if you were able to secure the tank for turns, you’d need an air tight lid to contain the water from sloshing right out of the tank.
Hello; This was my first thought as I was reading the thread but Rob909 beat me to it.
I don't think the weight of a tank will be a big problem but you might be limited to particular places in the RV. Might have to modify the RV in some fundamental ways and so could void a warranty or affect resale value.
If the RV were to only be moved at long intervals then the sloshing might be solved by draining the tank into a tub with a tight lid for a trip and then filled back up when parked.
I would check about RV parks with sewer hookups at individual campsites. Likely cost more. The one I know near me has one sewer dump for the short term campers but I think may have individual hookups for more permanent users. At any rate there are long term campers at the place that are never moved.
I would not be to concerned about driving around with a fish. I have hauled them many hours. They may not like it much but have done OK. I gather you do not plan to move it around a lot.

Have you considered which type of RV to use. A motor home with it's own motor and drive train or a trailer? Back when I thought about doing what you are thinking about I was going to have a self powered motor home so I could tow a fishing boat. You might be better served with a trailer. A trailer will not have a motor and drive train to maintain and that will have problems from a lot of sitting around.
With a trailer you can get by with only a tow vehicle which can be used for everyday driving. With a motor home you ill need a second motorized vehicle for every day stuff.
A trailer costs less than an equal sized motorhome but the tow vehicle can be costly and use a lot of fuel in every day stuff. Do you happen to be a massive pickup lover as well?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store