Keeping beluga sturgeon (huso huso)

Catfish_Addict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2020
Winnipeg, canada

Found these little guys for sale. Probably the biggest monster fish you could have in a pond or aquarium.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
They pop up quite regularly now in mainland Europe, I could get my hands on a 2 footer for like a hundred quid but this is one of the cases where we have to ask ourselves if it's worth it. 99% of those fish are going to go to people who have nowhere near the capacity to care for them, should we really be selling them just for the 1% that do? I'm not sure.

Edit: I think the article description on that page is enough to prove my point. "Some sturgeon species can grow to 1.5m/5ft"
A beluga will hit that in under 5 years and 2m within 10.

Reactions: deeda

Biohazardchiclid123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2020
They pop up quite regularly now in mainland Europe, I could get my hands on a 2 footer for like a hundred quid but this is one of the cases where we have to ask ourselves if it's worth it. 99% of those fish are going to go to people who have nowhere near the capacity to care for them, should we really be selling them just for the 1% that do? I'm not sure.

Edit: I think the article description on that page is enough to prove my point. "Some sturgeon species can grow to 1.5m/5ft"
You may be right but I might sound quite nieve and silly for saying this especially since incidents like grass carp and tilapia being introduced to foreign waterways show the effects invasive species can have. But a species like the sturgeon would have been a keystone species in the U.K. a few hundred years ago and we all know the goverment won’t give a flying **** about reintroducing species that were eradicated by us back into the wild, so maybe the sturgeon outgrowing people’s ponds and being released into waterways is not a bad idea and let’s be honest who don’t want to see a 9 ft freshwater whale in theyre local lake or canal

Catfish_Addict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2020
Winnipeg, canada
You may be right but I might sound quite nieve and silly for saying this especially since incidents like grass carp and tilapia being introduced to foreign waterways show the effects invasive species can have. But a species like the sturgeon would have been a keystone species in the U.K. a few hundred years ago and we all know the goverment won’t give a flying **** about reintroducing species that were eradicated by us back into the wild, so maybe the sturgeon outgrowing people’s ponds and being released into waterways is not a bad idea and let’s be honest who don’t want to see a 9 ft freshwater whale in theyre local lake or canal
The problem is that these captive raised sturgeon can bring diseases and probably wont be able to function in the wild after years of captive feeding.

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
Sturgeon do sometimes turn up in British waters one was caught not so long ago in Swansea. Two weeks ago I visited Shirley aquatics, they have a great pond area and several types of sturgeon. The reference to sturgeon growing upto 5ft I think is just standard on their web site as their staff are very knowledgeable.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Beluga sturgeon were never native to English waters so this whole post is pretty much void, besides the dangers releasing fish into waterways brings as others here have mentioned.

Crisroom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
USA

I saw em for sale too and I was like f***k that and ordered 2 I’ve had em in my dads pond for a few weeks know eatin well and I’ve even seen em schooling with my diamonds and longnose
Nice! How big is your pond?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store