Keeping Dario/Badis in a shrimp tank

Doge

Feeder Fish
Mar 16, 2019
I’m setting up a 10-gallon for crystal shrimp, and/or bees. I would like a few fish for the planted display. Obviously, totally shrimp-safe fish are best, but...I really like black tiger Dario sp. ‘Myanmar,’ and the awesome thing is their tolerance for lower temps, since I’d prefer heaterless, and it might occasionally dip below 70°F in the winter.

So, the Dario are gonna eat some shrimplets, no doubt. The question is this: if I establish a healthy breeding colony of RCS, with a densely-planted environment with lots of places to hide, are the Dario going to basically get them all? Or could it be a case where well-fed Dario might pick one off now and then, but the colony still produces plenty of new shrimp?

Reactions: Matteus

Fiscian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2017
You might do a bit more reading on CRS/Bee and Dario. That's a pretty advanced combo.

1. CRS are generally not mixed with fish, though some do, not ideal. Expensive fish food.

2. 10 gal is a small tank, CRS like clean and cool (no heater) with a good flow and benefit from a well established "akadama" like substrate where they will forage. A colony in a 10gal is a challenge.

3. CRS/RCS are not interchangeable. CRS = Crystal Red while RCS = Red Cherry.

4. RCS are better for new aquarists than CRS generally.

5 Dario sp. ‘Myanmar’ is probably wild caught and rare, the emphasis should be on captive reproduction in a species only tank.

If you're pretty new to the hobby, try RCS "Bloody Mary" with a nano fish like CPD, Celestial Pearl Danio.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store