keeping one or more aba aba knifefish in the same tank

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
hi, just wanna know if anyone ever kept two or more aba2 knifefish in the same tank? any success? will one attempt to attack the other one?
pls share your thought,
cheers

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Most knives have pretty intense con-specific aggression.. since it's generally a challenge to raise young Aba's up to begin with.. yeah I wouldn't chance it with my own guy after all the work and care I've put into getting him to his size. not to mention haveing a tank large enough to house 2 beasts. imo you'de have to have a large tank/pond with some nice hide spots ( I noticed my guy though haveing a few hide spots sticks to certain ones at certain times of the day suggesting he'd be territorial of his spaces) and plenty of food to avoid cannibalizim which people have mentioned in juvies. It might work in some of the JDM style set-ups that have them in Comm tanks... But even then i doubt it would work long-term.

my 2cents

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
thanks for the thought, I was gonna get another one with similar size, untill some folks in the lfs told me that its too risky mixing the same species together even in a large tank. Right not I am keeeping my 48cm aba2 in a com tank together with some catfishes. I havent notice the aba2 biting my catfishes yet, with the present of feeders fish in the tank. They always stay piling up in the corner of the tank, and they get really active at night, so I guess I'll keep an eye on them till I get a bigger tank.

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
I watched it be done at the LFS I work at...for a few days. After the fish settled and established territories, those that weren't quick/strong enough were torn to shreds. And that only at 3"-3.5". Is it possible? It could be, but it would be one risky experiment. I've seen the same thing with Carapo Knives and their aggression.

bes426

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2015
hi, just wanna know if anyone ever kept two or more aba2 knifefish in the same tank? any success? will one attempt to attack the other one?
pls share your thought,
cheers
Not if you want them both to live in one piece!

Drumm22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2020
Idk what aba means but j have 2 african knife fish in the same tank with no problems

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Not if you want them both to live in one piece!
This thread is pretty old :nilly:

Idk what aba means but j have 2 african knife fish in the same tank with no problems
African knives (Xenomystus nigri) can cohabit fine most of the time, Aba aba (Gymnarchus niloticus) is a nasty piece of work that eats most things ;)

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
This thread is pretty old :nilly:

African knives (Xenomystus nigri) can cohabit fine most of the time, Aba aba (Gymnarchus niloticus) is a nasty piece of work that eats most things ;)
I can't both laugh and like the same post so I laughed at the this is an old thread. And this post is a like to your answer of the aba aba thing.

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store