knife fish aggression

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
i keep a clownknife thats about a foot long in a large heated pond setup with other large predatory cichlids.from my observation nothing messes with this guy at all,he goes where he wants uncontested.sometimes shares nests with breeding pairs of cichlids like flowerhorns,midas without them bothering it at all.ive never witnessed it get aggressive with anything in the tank but am guessing theres a good reason fish are wary of it.im aware these monsters are highly predatory but are they territorial? the other thing i notice is he never hides,,hes pretty active looking for culls/feeders always out in the open.the fish in with it are similar size 6"-12"

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
i keep a clownknife thats about a foot long in a large heated pond setup with other large predatory cichlids.from my observation nothing messes with this guy at all,he goes where he wants uncontested.sometimes shares nests with breeding pairs of cichlids like flowerhorns,midas without them bothering it at all.ive never witnessed it get aggressive with anything in the tank but am guessing theres a good reason fish are wary of it.im aware these monsters are highly predatory but are they territorial? the other thing i notice is he never hides,,hes pretty active looking for culls/feeders always out in the open.the fish in with it are similar size 6"-12"
In the late 70's my Mother kept a couple of Clown Knives with other fish and I never seen any aggression or territorial behavior not even among the 2 Clown Knifefish.

Reactions: Apollyeon
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store