Koi adventure at Fish Story Aquarium and Rescue, Naples, FL

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
A couple of unexplained deaths, showa and sanke. These were okay one week. Then the next got "soft", couldn't swim, and died. I've no thoughts except maybe i let the water get too hard for too long for the sake of the sturgeon, wels, and the redfish in the same tank and water system (unwittingly; haven't thought that the continuous water change decreased due to a leak; while I am continuously adding a little of hard, raw well water to the 25K to up the hardness). I corrected this.

One of the 24"-ers (still alive and feeding well) has been developing dropsy, retaining fluid. IDK what to do about that because I dont know the root cause. Perhaps that elevated water hardness and elevated TDS were stressing out the koi a bit too much. According to my measurements, the hardness before correction rose to around 10-12 degrees.

100_9696.JPG100_9711.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
About 2ft new arrival, long fin, from Randy, a fellow rescuer from Fort Myers, FL:

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The rescues from Carissa, the koi and the goldfish, have been doing well, growing in 240 gal:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store