Koi fish with possible fungal infection not improving after treatment

ion518

Feeder Fish
Nov 13, 2022
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
No
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Recently my koi jumped out of the pond, luckily we were able to resuscitate it and everything seemed fine. Apparently it's common for fish to get fungal/bacterial infections after flopping around on the ground and apparently that's what happened. I started noticing it's skin looking flakey/cottony recently and immediately started using mela fix from the pet store to treat it. The water got pretty cloudy because of it, and i couldn't see much but i decided to take a close look a couple days ago and not only had it not gotten better it got a bit worse. I bought pimafix later that day and have been trying both every day since (about 3 days) and it doesn't look to be improving. What should I try? It's looking pretty bad and i hope this doesn't become the case but will euthanasia have to be my option?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
How big is the koi? What is the pond size?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I would do a water change and put salt. Is there filtration?

ion518

Feeder Fish
Nov 13, 2022
I would do a water change and put salt. Is there filtration?
There is a standard HOB filter on the tank and I've taken the filter cartridge out because that's recommended on the instructions for the mela fix /pimafix.

By salt i assume you mean aquarium salt, what ratio of salt to water should I use and would a full water change shock them?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Water change is to remove some of the meds already in there. You can do a 50-60%.
You want to get the salt level to .3% which is approximately 1 tablespoon per 1 gallon of tank water. You can do 1 teaspoon per gallon daily for three days if you want to do it slowly.
So you have no filtration at all now. Not good. I would get it going again.

ion518

Feeder Fish
Nov 13, 2022
Water change is to remove some of the meds already in there. You can do a 50-60%.
You want to get the salt level to .3% which is approximately 1 tablespoon per 1 gallon of tank water. You can do 1 teaspoon per gallon daily for three days if you want to do it slowly.
So you have no filtration at all now. Not good. I would get it going again.
Just threw the filter back in, and I'll do the water change / salt tomorrow. Should i continue with the mela fix / pimafix?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store