Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Koi Growth Food Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Outdoor Ponds' started by knobhill, Aug 20, 2017.

1. knobhill

knobhill MFK Members

Yesterday at 10:30 PM
      Hi,
      I have a 4000g koi pond with about 25 koi. I have had them for 2 years now, and got them when they were 4-5", they are now 6-8". This growth seems really slow to me. The pond is in southern california. I use kens fish summer and growth formula pellets. I also have albino channel catfish that started at 3" and are 10-14" now.

Any suggestions for a good diet for these koi?

2. Wailua Boy

Wailua Boy MFK Members

Today at 12:20 AM
      My channels always seem to out grow my koi. I would focus more on water change schedule opposed to feeding regimen. Out of curiosity how often do you feed?

Chub_by likes this.
    3. kendragon

kendragon MFK Members

Yesterday at 9:36 PM
      Hikari makes several summertime growth food. What I normal do is feed several times a day but small portions to allow them to absorb the nuitrients. Feeding a lot all at once doesn't do any good.

4. MrsE88

MrsE88 MFK Members

Kathryn
      Yesterday at 9:30 PM
      Huh. How often are you doing water changes?
      I don't feed anything special to mine. Just API pond fish food. I also got my main stock a couple years ago ranging from 2"-6". They were 8"-16" when I measured this past spring.
      Were they previously stunted really bad?

5. Timkoi

Timkoi MFK Members

Oct 2, 2017
      Water changes water changes. They might be too old to get growing now.

6. Jasonnstephjung

Jasonnstephjung MFK Members

Stephanie
      Sep 23, 2017
      There could be a lot of factors at play. I am not familiar with that food. Yeah water quality is very important, but you need a high quality koi food too. I have read that koi grow until they are three. If they don't have enough nutrients or protein they will be stunted

7. FMA4ME

FMA4ME MFK Members

54 minutes ago
      Water Params?

8. Tankzfordayz

Tankzfordayz MFK Members

Chris O'Brien
      Sunday at 12:42 PM
      Yes Koi can have their growth stunted by overcrowding or poor water quality. Personally I don't believe in water changes for diluting density-dependent-growth-inhibiting hormones or other dissolved organics. I'm sure these things play a roll, but not one that is noticeable to the average hobbyist. Just keep your Ammonnia, Nitrite, and KH in check, don't crowd them, and FEED THEM.
      I wouldn't give up on their growth just yet without trying a good qualilty food.
      Food is the biggest factor: good quality and feeding often. the japanese feed some of theirs 10x a day lol!
      Whatever you get, try to get 30-40% protein (watch your ammonia carefully!) from both plant and animal sources.
      Hikari makes a good growth formula, as does Hanover Koi Farms.
      Boris Gomelski out of KSU has a great article on protein content's affects on koi growth, Will try to see if I still have it....The gist is more protien=more growth regardless of source (no duh right?)

Hope this helps and keep us posted!

9. duanes

duanes MFK Members

Duane
      Yesterday at 4:34 PM
      When I picked up my butterfly koi, it was about 3" at an aquarium club auction, along with some 2" goldfish.
      They were fed generic koi food May thru Oct, and not fed in winter at all, (water temps 50'F and below). kept in a 500 gal pond, a kiddy pool in an unheated basement in winter.
      In 3 years the koi grew to over 12", and the goldfish @6".
      I believe growth has everything to do with dissolved organics, and good water quality.
      I cleaned the mechanical filter twice per week, and ran a protein skimmer to remove as many nitrate precursors as possible, with weekly water changes, unless it rained.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      video below of protein skimmer working, and another of goldfish spawning.
      koi pond fractionation
      GOPR6064