Koi

Toothyfish2003

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2018
Hi everyone! Yesterday I picked up a platinum koi for my pond! He is in a 40 breeder right now and he is around 4 inches. He is farting around the tank and is terrified of everything. I really want him tame enough to ya least eat in front of me. Someone please help fast.

Thank you

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I've got a number of koi that usually stay in my pond but come inside during the winter months, I can't say I have ever seen them spooked by anything at all usually they are always active and looking for food. Is yours eating at all? What other fish are in the tank with him?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Is your tank bare bottom, or does it have substrate?
Do you have any cover such as floating plants or floating logs?,
I also would overwinter mine inside, when small in tanks, when larger in kiddy pools.
Especially when small, they aways relaxed with cover, anything from duckweed, to hyacinth, to logs floating logs.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I also have a few little ones inside this winter. They kept hiding in the top rocks around the pond and I was afraid they would freeze in the ice around the top edges if they didn’t move down with the others. One of them was a cute little 3 1/2in platinum:) that was in October. The biggest of the three is now pushing 9-10in! Keep up with lots of water changes so you don’t stunt yours while it’s in the little tank.

As far as being skiddish, it will settle down after a while. No lights, keep it in a low traffic area, and walk up slowly when feeding and doing maintenance. Might have calmed down a lot. As they grow they become a lot more laid back. My platinum will eat at the top now while I’m putting food in.

Toothyfish2003

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2018
I've got a number of koi that usually stay in my pond but come inside during the winter months, I can't say I have ever seen them spooked by anything at all usually they are always active and looking for food. Is yours eating at all? What other fish are in the tank with him?
He is with a pacu that is about an inch he didn’t eat this morning

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
With both the koi and pacu being so small you don't have to worry yet, but as they grow you'll want to keep the koi just with other koi. I know some people do keep them with other species but in my koi/pond exp I find koi do best in groups of other koi only. Also you'll need to upgrade to a larger tank/pond at some point because koi grow fast if feed properly and will reach 24"-30" plus. The ones I have now were just 4" when I got them 2 yrs ago and now some of them are already 12" long. I'll be digging a new larger pond this spring because of how fast they are growing.

As the others said try giving him some cover to hide in, he may just be skittish right now since it's only been one day and he doesn't have any other koi to social group up with. Once they settle in and feel comfortable they will be very tame. Mine will eat right out of my hand when I feed them.

Reactions: MrsE88

Toothyfish2003

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2018
I have been sitting next to the tank all day and he has seemed to calm down and has eaten some frozen brine shrimp

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
That's good to hear. They are omnivores so you'll find now that he's started eating he will eat just about anything lol. I feed mine sinking as well as floating pellets from 1mm to 5mm, flake food, worms, they love watermelon during the summer. They are like a cichlid and always are hungry it seems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store