Korean bullhead size?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
According to Wikipedia, the Korean bullhead "can reach a maximum length of 34.5 cm, weighing 3 kg, though it is much more commonly found to a length of 8 cm."

Is this really referring to the same species? I would consider getting an 8cm individual for one of my tanks but certainly not a 35cm individual, so I need to be absolutely certain.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'd only trust Wikipedia if what it says matches reputable sources, such as FishBase.

Max size and common size can be very different for slow growing species. For example golden mahseer can grow to 6 feet+ but the size of commonly caught fish in its native habitat these days is 1 foot.

I don't think you can be absolutely certain here. E.g., gender often plays a big role in the max size of catfish. You could in theory request and pay for an ultrasound of internal genital organs on a baby Tawny dragon (another nickname of the catfish) to determine the sex, if you shower your vendor and their vet with money and perhaps make them sign a contractual obligation in case they determine the sex wrong. Just one naive example.

You'd also have to make absolute sure of the species ID, which may or may not require a DNA analysis for hard-to-ID species, and in the Tachysilurus genus there seems to be a few such.

In general, when we advance past common knowledge in our hobby, which is quite limited, it seems certainty goes out the window and we can only learn by experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store