kribnesis pelvicachromis pulcher / moliwe

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
at present I have a female krebnesis pelvicachromis pulcher it has been in my community tank for years now. At the same time I bought a male and female pelvicachromis moliwe they were in a different tank within a month the male died so I replaced it with another male the female then died about 2 weeks after replacing male and then the male about 2 weeks later water parameters were fine I know the water in my area is hard and was wondering if that had anything to do with it although my other female krib is fine in the other tank.Any ideas as I would like to try them again.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
My little, stunted, female krib ran a tank with 11 males. She selected her flavor of the week and the rest had to keep clear in a 75gal.

How big is your tank?
Other tank mates?
Decor?
Filtration/circulation?

TigerTalon1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
My female kribensis in a 29 gallon bred with a male I had that war twice her size, she ended up killing him, I have now relplaced it with a stronger male and things are better. But that's probably whats been happening your fish were fighting. How big is the tank? Are you doing steady water changes? Are they the only fish in the tank? If they are the only fish in the tank id suggest adding some sort of tetra or dither fish

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
They were in a 130 litres 35 us gallons long tank heavily planted and were on their own water parameters were spot on 30% water change weekly filtration was an eheim pro 4 plus 250. To be honest when I first started out in the hobby I had a pulcher pair in a 40 LT tank and they were breeding every 3 weeks I think they were eating their own fry in the end I sold them.

TigerTalon1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
They were in a 130 litres 35 us gallons long tank heavily planted and were on their own water parameters were spot on 30% water change weekly filtration was an eheim pro 4 plus 250. To be honest when I first started out in the hobby I had a pulcher pair in a 40 LT tank and they were breeding every 3 weeks I think they were eating their own fry in the end I sold them.
For the next pair you keep I’d suggest adding some sort of bottom feeder or tetras, the presence of other fish in the aquarium can reduce aggression towards eachother when they are in defending mode. Also make sure there is caves because kribensis are cave spawners. Add plants as well.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I have a pair now on order I still have the flower pots that the first pair I used to spawn it the tank is very heavily planted floating and planted. I have some yoyo loahes don't if they would be any good to put in there.

TigerTalon1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
I have a pair now on order I still have the flower pots that the first pair I used to spawn it the tank is very heavily planted floating and planted. I have some yoyo loahes don't if they would be any good to put in there.
Yo yo loaches would work. I’d suggest Cory cats in a group of at least 4-6 or more. I have white skirt tetras in my krib tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store