L095 females?

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I have been reading all information about the 95 pleco and some information is conflicting. I have even translated non English site information into English and some things are still inconsistent.

before I lose you I’m interested in seeing pictures of your females. If you have a female or have kept a female please share pics and or information. The net is lacking in this area.

some info I have read is stating only males have the orange cheek and orange in the fins, if this is true then are all the ones we keep in aquaria only males? Do the importers who catch the fish put back the females bc the females don’t have the orange and they might not sell as well?

I read there is a look a like pleco called the L152, no orange in the fins. Would any female orange cheeks potentially be labeled as a152 by mistake?

there are currently no breeding reports of this pleco being bred in aquaria with surviving fry. Is it bc mostly males are kept?

one report I read there were viable fry from a pair but the fry died at one inch, no additional attempts, no pics of the pair. True? Maybe maybe not.

so please if you have a female or any valuable information to add that is personal experience and not pulled from the net do share.

Reactions: Rob909

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I saw this video a while back when I was looking into l95s. This guy got “spawning behavior” but ended up losing both of the fish before any eggs were produced. It’s worth the note that if he did have male and female, both had orange cheeks and fins.
I have an orange cheek but have never sexed it since I have no others to compare it to.
I’ll be following along to see what kind of information comes up!

• Love
Reactions: Niki_up

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I saw this video a while back when I was looking into l95s. This guy got “spawning behavior” but ended up losing both of the fish before any eggs were produced. It’s worth the note that if he did have male and female, both had orange cheeks and fins.
I have an orange cheek but have never sexed it since I have no others to compare it to.
I’ll be following along to see what kind of information comes up!
Thank you for sharing, that is one place I have not looked for information, YouTube!

you can bet you bottom dollar I’ll be watching that video several more times to see if I can tell which one is female!

it definitely does look like spawning behaviour to me, too bad he lost the pair.

I also read it it suspected they are egg scatters, so they would definitely need they own breeding aquarium with no fish to eat their eggs.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
So upon watching this video it is very clear that the female has a more narrow nose, like other plecos!
This video was the best “research” I’ve found that shows the difference between males and females.
I note that the female is smaller than the male but that can be put down to age differences.
She is also fatter in the midsection as one would expect.

they are also both similarly coloured. Which is good information for me.

I screen shotted the best pic from the video that shows the differences in shape

F334DA38-48DC-4379-8B44-655C95FAE36E.png

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
So upon watching this video it is very clear that the female has a more narrow nose, like other plecos!
This video was the best “research” I’ve found that shows the difference between males and females.
I note that the female is smaller than the male but that can be put down to age differences.
She is also fatter in the midsection as one would expect.

they are also both similarly coloured. Which is good information for me.

I screen shotted the best pic from the video that shows the differences in shape

View attachment 1478160
I do see the differences you’re talking about actually. Very good eye and perfect timing on the screenshot.
Hopefully this thread picks up a little more attention. If not, planet catfish may be another good resource.
I’m sure you’ve seen the videos by now, but there are a few other videos of people also getting this behavior, but no eggs.

Reactions: Niki_up

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I do see the differences you’re talking about actually. Very good eye and perfect timing on the screenshot.
Hopefully this thread picks up a little more attention. If not, planet catfish may be another good resource.
I’m sure you’ve seen the videos by now, but there are a few other videos of people also getting this behavior, but no eggs.
I do hope more people chime in, however, this does confirm some of my doubts about females being in the hobby! So I’m fairly happy with this video lol

I have tried planet catfish and find it adifficult site to navigate so I tend to stay away from it lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store