L144s won't spawn

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I have tried almost everything. PVC pipes, ceramic caves, pots, more of all of those, simulated droughts, simulated rain, green beans, bloodworms, powerheads, more driftwood, leaves, sticks, everything. I got a total of one spawn in 2 years and it got kicked out of the nest. They hatched and then guppies ate them, but that's not really related. Anything else I can try? Are bamboo caves the final piece of the puzzle for me?

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
How big is your tank? How big or how old are your fish? And do you have more than one male in the tank? Or other bottom dwellers?

what have you changed since your first spawning? Added fish?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
the tank is a 20 tall and they're both about 3 inches long. I only have the pair in there. Nothing changed in the tank I originally had them in, then I moved them to a display for awhile, then to the tank they're in now to focus back on breeding.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
That’s strange then, usually I’d they alone they will readily breed with nothing really extra required from the keeper.

if I were you, I would add more caves, up the temperature to 82 (though I’m not sure what temperature your tank is now)and feed really well. Zucchini daily, algae tabs daily, and protein pellets 2x a week.Continue with lots of water changes with cooler temps.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
That’s strange then, usually I’d they alone they will readily breed with nothing really extra required from the keeper.

if I were you, I would add more caves, up the temperature to 82 (though I’m not sure what temperature your tank is now)and feed really well. Zucchini daily, algae tabs daily, and protein pellets 2x a week.Continue with lots of water changes with cooler temps.
Oh I forgot to mention the temp is at around 80-82 already. Perhaps I could also try more females.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Oh I forgot to mention the temp is at around 80-82 already. Perhaps I could also try more females.
That’s the temperature I breed at just fine. Mine only stopped breeding when I had two males in the same tank as they squabbled too much to actually breed.

how big are your females? They full of eggs?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Female does look plump, but nothing too out of the ordinary. Female is only about half an inch smaller than the male. Male is 3 inches

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
I have two suggestions.

1. Get a second male. Have 3 caves spread across th front of the tank so you can see into the caves. Place one on each end and one in the center. They like tight spaces not roomy ones. (I am assuming BN fms produce eggs faster than it takes the males to do his thing. The plecos I have worked with the fms can produce eggs every two weeks but the male needs 4 weeks+ to hatche them and shepard them to cully free swimming when they leave or he boots them. In all the yeats I had them breedering I never noticed.)

2. Get Repashy Soilent Green. I prefer batching Repashy foods with closer to the lower rather than the higher amount of water. Mix it in a small casserole dish. When It gels, cut it into small candy bar sized pieces. Freeze most of it and put some in the fridge. It is good in the freezer for about 6 months and the fridge a week to two. You can tel when you failed to use it up in time. To feed slice off a couple if pieces, not too big, and place them in different spots in the tank. It sinks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store