L280 does anyone have these little spiny wonders

Killduv

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Was wondering if anyone has any experience with owning these little spiny plecos ?
I am picking up a few 1 cm babies in the coming weeks. going to house them in a 40 gallon breeder. I have many caves and wood for them. Hope to breed them later as well.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
they are just so small, even smaller than the zebra which I would never get because of that size. I've bought one about 1.5''(4cm) from an LFS before and neither the owner of that store or I knew what it was. I thought it was a starved small contradens because it didn't not like any of the food that the LFS use to feed. I bought it and keep it in a quarantine tank for 6 weeks feeding blood worm and several type of NLS pellets. It fatten up Quite nicely but it did not grow at all even for another year or so in the bigger tank with the l134. Later on someone told me that it is a l280 Hypancistrus vandragti which only get to that size.

Reactions: Killduv

Adrianrios1085

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2019
Riverside ca
I just bought 8 of them planning to breed them in my opinion there pretty cool you don’t need a big tank for them I have them in a 40g breeder and that’ll be more than enough room for them. They have nice coloration and are very active. No one in my area has them so I know selling there fry will be easy even my lfs already interested in them.

Reactions: Killduv

Adrianrios1085

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2019
Riverside ca
I have these in a 40 gallon breeder. Hopefully have offspring when they are full grown as well. Interesting little plecos.
Awesome! I have 6 left 2 died after a week or so I have in sane tans with my l46 zebras hoping I can get both to breed. No activity tho from l280 I’ve had for bout a month and a half now

Killduv

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Awesome! I have 6 left 2 died after a week or so I have in sane tans with my l46 zebras hoping I can get both to breed. No activity tho from l280 I’ve had for bout a month and a half now
Thanks!!
Sorry to hear about them dying. I know they are pretty hardy though more than the L046. Hopefully both will breed for you. Good luck.

Reactions: Adrianrios1085
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store