Lake Qounnapaug CT

Zorro

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Meriden CT
tossed a 3in tail dancer in like silver (baitfish?) About 7:30 when were drifting over a 30 foot drop off outside of a beach Ant sighes a cry of relief and shock as his drag squeals off. 18in brown hit his lure about 5-10 feet from the boat, after a brief boatside battle shes in the net and instantly comes unhooked.

We get to fishing again, 3 or so more drifts along that side of the lake and were thinking we got the only co-operative fish in the lake... Nada with the silver buddy, not a bass, trout, or perch. We switched over to bass around 9:45 and beat some of the dropoffs (5foot goes into 15 extremely quickly here) and tryed jignpig, senko, silver buddy, crankbait, and rattletrap. Didnt really slow down becuase my two lite rods were rigged for trout and tubing in the wind would of been impossible.

Anchored up outside the beach for the last 45 mins with a shiner 6feet under a slip bobber, a shiner on a slider rig in 30 fow where we saw a ton of fish on the finder, and me and anthony tossing rattletraps, jerkbaits, silver buddys looking for anything but ecspecially a trout.

12 o clock roled around and we packed it up and headed in, as wer were leaving it got flat calm and we saw a few smaller trout nip flyes off the top, also saw a alewife floating in perfect condtion (no hook marks?) But there not suppossed to be here?

here are the pics

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Nice alewife. I'm not familiar with your area but can alewives make it into this lake? The water this spring was really high. Does this lake eventully drain into an estuary? If not, perhaps there were some "introduced" into the lake or there may be a landlocked population. Nice trout too.

Zorro

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Meriden CT
They should not of been a alewife at that lake. We saw it floating on the top of the water. We think someone was useing it as bait and he saw it dieing in his bucket and threw it over.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Sounds reasonable. They don't last long in a bucket.

Zorro

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Meriden CT
yup they dont stay alive for anything. There is some lakes that we fish that can have them for bait.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store