Land snails as feeders?

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Hello, I have the idea of getting some sort of puffer in the future (probably fahaka) so I'm kinda preparing for the food sources. I've already started an apple snail tank, might add some sort of crayfish (the cloning ones) with them. Recently someone brought in African Land snails, I was thinking would they make good puffer food? They're a bit spendy but if you get some going you'll have many in a short time. I plan on keeping them as pets put only giving the smaller ones to the puffer (if I get one at all), they are good at eating kitchen scraps and producing compost I suppose. Plus they don't require water changes and filtration!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I’d personally stick with breeding crays and something like ramshorn snails to be safe... also guessing ramshorn will probably breed faster than land snails as well?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
French people eat snails so I don't see why a fish couldn't.
We can eat garlic but dogs can't...

I would stick to crays. Just make sure not to let any out, they are massive environmental risks

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
One of my friends used to have a fahaka and was breeding land snails as a food source. He had good success breeding them and the puffer loved them.

Reactions: FESHMAN
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store