Large and small bichirs together?????

snowhnter

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2009
West Virginia, USA
I have seen pics and videos of monster bichirs in with small bichirs, is this ok. Will the not eat the smaller ones. I have a 14" ornate that just killed my zig zag eel and it was in the sam tank as my smaller bichirs. 10" del, 7" del, 10" sen, 6"sen. Have not put my smaller bichir in with the rest yet. The laps and endlis are still in the grow out. Don't want the larger ones chomping on the little guys. Please advise.

irgaa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
jakarta.id
aaahh glad to be back in here..

ornatipinnis is well known for eating juvenile or smaller bichir (it happened to me, where my 35cm orna ate my 10cm teugelsi).

MichaelMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Vancouver ,Washington
Does anyone know how an ornate bichir and a fire eel would do together in the same tank?
they should do just fine as long as there isnt a huge size difference. though my experience is with eels bigger then the ornate. or of comparable size.

dpete88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
in the drivers seat
Simple rule of thumb with predatory fish, if it can fit in their mouth there is a definite risk. especially if they're used to eating live food. I've had a 9 inch endli eat a 8 inch needle nose gar. Bichirs mouths are bigger than they sometimes look. Smaller bichirs are usually OK except with weeksi and ornates but that doesn't mean every ornate or weeksi will eat other bichirs. How often they are fed and what they are used to eating often affects their behavior

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Pretty fast both...

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
I aso seen small bichir with large bichirs but I'm still dramatize that my endlicheri had my delhezi half way down.
I don't trust endlicheri they have bigger mouth than upper jaws.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
It's a risk but if you keep all your bigger bichirs well fed you can lower your risk.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store