Large armatus aggression towards tank mates (Lince)

newyorkmfk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
Looking to hear from people who have experience with large armatus and if they have seen similar behavior...

My 20”+ armatus just started recently lunging at my lince about 17”. He’ll swim behind the lince in the current of the powerhead and then dart at him, not with his mouth open but almost looks to head butt him to intimidate him. Its almost like he’s trying to push him out of the current so he can swim in it. Its to the point that he’s doing it often. Has anyone else who has kept large armatus ever experienced this type of behavior? And if it will get worse?

One thing I’m thinking about doing is adding another powerhead to the other side of the tank about mid way up and maybe the armatus will swim in that current and stay away from the lince’s side. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

newyorkmfk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
The armatus has never bothered anyone before. Raised him since about 8”

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I was happy mine kicked the bucket before killing the Lince. :(

Seemed the constant swimming of my Lince made the Armatus crazy. Hated the Dorado as well. Seems they do best when they are the kings of the tank and everything else is either much smaller or hardly moves.......

This was one of those situations where I felt like my 750 was wayyyy too small for what I had going on it it. Seems like these fish need LOTS of room.....

newyorkmfk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
Did the armatus go after the lince and dorado like this? Did they ever bite them?

I was happy mine kicked the bucket before killing the Lince. :(

Seemed the constant swimming of my Lince made the Armatus crazy. Hated the Dorado as well. Seems they do best when they are the kings of the tank and everything else is either much smaller or hardly moves.......

This was one of those situations where I felt like my 750 was wayyyy too small for what I had going on it it. Seems like these fish need LOTS of room.....

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Sure, at first it was just head shakes but progressed to shanks and tattered tails..... Not sure I'd try mixing them again..... Armatus don't see too tolerant of much but maybe big wolves....

newyorkmfk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
And I’m guessing it only got worse and not any better?

Sure, at first it was just head shakes but progressed to shanks and tattered tails..... Not sure I'd try mixing them again..... Armatus don't see too tolerant of much but maybe big wolves....

OnceLoyal

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Around
My big armatus would charge my silver aro. Aro was an inch bigger probably. Never made contact. It seemed to come and go in spurts. The only problem I recall with my Armatus was the other Armatus. It was quite a love hate relationship.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've never had a lince but my armatus of about that same size would exhibit similar behavior towards other fish when I was into keeping them.I wound up with a few scarred up and half blind peackck bass.

newyorkmfk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
10FFCDE2-F60D-44B2-BC5B-B9E11AF990CF.jpeg End result I ended up sadly getting rid of the armatus before he inflicted serious damage on the lince. He already left a teeth mark on him since I started this thread. He went to a good home, a friend with a Big tank.

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store