Large cichlids (umbee jag vieja types) with bottom dwellers

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Can you guys share your experiences with keeping large aggressive cichlids with bottom dwellers ? If you can also state how long you've kept the conbo together.

I want my son to research this so he'll most likely be reading this thread. The tank is a 300 gallon with a good chance of an upgrade in the near future. We mainly keep bichirs but any experience with plecos, cats , and other botton dwellers will be appreciated.

Id rather keep the replies to 1st hand experience and not opinions thx.

We've kept the combo before but none of the cichlids were "killers" besides a juvenile argentea who did not mix well with any fish added to his established tank (75 gal) ive had juvie zonatus completely ignore bichirs and cats...but none no experience at adult sizes

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Take a look at pbass and crenicichla. My kelberi acts like a dog whenever I walk by, tail slapping the water (and any fish nearby) wanting to get fed. The kel doesn't pickup food from the bottom so it won't compete with bottom feeders. The pike will though.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I have a soft spot for catfish- there are some in every tank I own.

I never do bare bottom or empty tanks. I find them unattractive and useless unless it’s QT.

I’ve kept the fish above and others with all kinds of synodontis ( fav. Catfish genus) L number plecos and bristlenose.

As long as there are hides it works out well.

My only scenario that didn’t work well included a full grown dwarf giraffe cat which was hyper aggressive and got its butt whooped by a small pair of saggitae.

The other acenario that failed was when my bifasciata Breed in the ya k with my 17” vulture cat- it’s was almost 3 years old at the time.
I couldn’t put together a hide for the catfish that the bifas couldn’t enter.
I lost that big cat over a weekend away.

Plecos do eat fish eggs so it can prevent overpopulation through breeding.

My 2 cents

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Also following for the same reason as the other thread, but what about Oscars? Or are you opposed to them?
Kind of. Great fish no doubt but been there done that.

In all honesty id rather not get any cichlids but this is his show lol

Reactions: beau1990

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Take a look at pbass and crenicichla. My kelberi acts like a dog whenever I walk by, tail slapping the water (and any fish nearby) wanting to get fed. The kel doesn't pickup food from the bottom so it won't compete with bottom feeders. The pike will though.
Foe some reason i didnt notice this reply or crazykoicracker's

I'll let him take a look at them and see what he thinks. Are either better kept in groups ?

I have a soft spot for catfish- there are some in every tank I own.

I never do bare bottom or empty tanks. I find them unattractive and useless unless it’s QT.

I’ve kept the fish above and others with all kinds of synodontis ( fav. Catfish genus) L number plecos and bristlenose.

As long as there are hides it works out well.

My only scenario that didn’t work well included a full grown dwarf giraffe cat which was hyper aggressive and got its butt whooped by a small pair of saggitae.

The other acenario that failed was when my bifasciata Breed in the ya k with my 17” vulture cat- it’s was almost 3 years old at the time.
I couldn’t put together a hide for the catfish that the bifas couldn’t enter.
I lost that big cat over a weekend away.

Plecos do eat fish eggs so it can prevent overpopulation through breeding.

My 2 cents
Wow thats a shame sorry you lost your vulture. Ours i maybe pushing 14 inches. Great fish they love him. Unfortunately im giving him to a buddy, moving in june and need to lighten the laod a bit.

So you've kept umbee and jags and they left your bottom dwellers alone ?

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
All the Amphilophus I have kept harassed bottom dwellers, my vieja would attack them at feeding times.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally kept a few Malawi African Cichlids with the larger Polys with no issues. Haplochromis and Peacock no Mbuna.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Sorry Jaws-

Missed the umbee portion.
I’ve kept jags, midas, red devil, black belt, la ceiba, red bay snook, male festae, Oscars, sagittae, trimac, adult red pikes, green terrors but not an umbee all with catfish and plecos and most have them have shared a tank with my ornate poly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store