Large pleco for acrylic tanks?

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Hey guys. I’m looking for a suggestion for a large colorful oleco like a leopardus or a titanic oleco to put into my new tank.

I plan to keep large cichla, crenicichla, and other large SA fish and want one of these bad boys.

My question is how they would do in acrylic tanks. Will they scratch them with their rasping? Will their skin mess it up?

If so, is there another species you recommend?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
With those being Pseudacanthicus species I wouldn’t thing they would rasp to much on the tank walls. I don’t own those specific species but I do have an L024 and L096. I have not seen them rasp anything but food.
They will hang on to different surfaces though.
For compatibility with large cichla species I do not have first hand knowledge, but have heard a few horror stories of them attempting to swallow large plecos only to get them stuck in there throat.
Like I said I have only heard stories so this may not be the reality.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
With those being Pseudacanthicus species I wouldn’t thing they would rasp to much on the tank walls. I don’t own those specific species but I do have an L024 and L096. I have not seen them rasp anything but food.
They will hang on to different surfaces though.
For compatibility with large cichla species I do not have first hand knowledge, but have heard a few horror stories of them attempting to swallow large plecos only to get them stuck in there throat.
Like I said I have only heard stories so this may not be the reality.
Thanks for the feedback and the alert about bass trying to swallow them. Maybe I’ll hold off and eliminate all risk.

Zimbick

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Cape Coral, FL
L014 of L253. Large, & very cool looking. I have (4) 12"+ L14's in a 300g Acrylic tank and they've never even hung on the tank sides. Love meaty foods, I add zucchini & pullin as a weekly treat and they shred it, usually the night before my water change because you get a lot of green or orange pooh.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
any of the meat eaters you should be fine with (l24 l25 l600 etc) L095 will be fine and i can not reccomend more, stay awaya from panaque
Thanks Jay!

Reactions: UnstoppableJayD

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
L014 of L253. Large, & very cool looking. I have (4) 12"+ L14's in a 300g Acrylic tank and they've never even hung on the tank sides. Love meaty foods, I add zucchini & pullin as a weekly treat and they shred it, usually the night before my water change because you get a lot of green or orange pooh.
Thank you sir! Always wanted a nice fancy pleco!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thank you sir! Always wanted a nice fancy pleco!
Did you ever try any of the plecos mentioned ? How did it work out ?

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Did you ever try any of the plecos mentioned ? How did it work out ?
I just got three l24’s. They do hang on the walls at the back of the tank but haven’t noticed issues yet. I’m hoping they don’t do any damage but I heard that the spikes on their pectorals can scratch the surface over time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store