Largest fish for a 55 gallon?

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
I hope I am asking this I the right section!
In about a month I'm getting a 55 gallon. I was thinking of doing large fish instead of a bunch of small ones.
Was wondering what the largest fish I could keep in a 55g is, without overstocking. It MUST get along with a Red Tail Black Shark, that's the most important thing!
And preferably something that's not one of those "LOOK at me wrong and I'll drop dead" fish. I'm pretty new in this hobby, so I'm bound to make some mistakes along the way.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
redtail black sharks dont get that big, most "large" fish will look at him eventually. Im not a cichlid guy, but there are a few speces of them that would be ok. My 55 has mostly polypterus in it. But ive also kept BGK, marble goby, oscars and dragon gobies. Eventually all but the dragon will outgrow a 55 though, and I don like the idea of keeping him in a 55 as an adult.
talk with the cichlid guys, they will probably have the best answers for you. GL!

Loves severums

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
Michigan
redtail black sharks dont get that big, most "large" fish will look at him eventually. Im not a cichlid guy, but there are a few speces of them that would be ok. My 55 has mostly polypterus in it. But ive also kept BGK, marble goby, oscars and dragon gobies. Eventually all but the dragon will outgrow a 55 though, and I don like the idea of keeping him in a 55 as an adult.
talk with the cichlid guys, they will probably have the best answers for you. GL!
they will out grown a 55 gallon...

Getmuddy350

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2005
MAINE
I would second a vote on the Seveum being a good fish for a 55. Generally aren't very aggressive either, but with any cichlid, temperament varies greatly between fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store