Largest fish, in tank, hardest to see (most of the time).

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
The hunting pictures are amazing! I have always liked the gobys. Is that pH test bottoming out? Or do you think its a true 6.0?

duanes duanes you are probably familiar with Peninsula State Park. I used to catch those gobys all the time off the pier there. There would be loads of them laying on shore, as you are required to kill them. I found it interesting that native fish were not that interested in eating them. I tried using them as bait with no luck but had plenty of action on similar sized shiners.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The hunting pictures are amazing! I have always liked the gobys. Is that pH test bottoming out? Or do you think its a true 6.0?

duanes duanes you are probably familiar with Peninsula State Park. I used to catch those gobys all the time off the pier there. There would be loads of them laying on shore, as you are required to kill them. I found it interesting that native fish were not that interested in eating them. I tried using them as bait with no luck but had plenty of action on similar sized shiners.
It may be the test bottoming out, even though its the low end API test I could probably use the pH 2-5 version. The pools had a 6" layer of rotting leaves, and lots of vulture droppings, all suggesting pH may be somewhat lower.
The smaller shrimp are smittingfullsizeoutput_180b.jpeg
images of the parent, but almost transparent.
fullsizeoutput_1811.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Again today, a face down position, but in another area of the tank, so the Goby morphed into a slightly different color scheme to better match foliage, and terrain. (maybe why it is sometimes called the "spotted Goby)
View attachment 1381537
Other fish pass by within strike range, totally oblivious to the menace.
View attachment 1381538
View attachment 1381539

The Goby is definitely in a ambush position. This is the first time I've ever seen any species of Goby display that behavior in anyone's else aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store